Crossfire with x1300

This all sounds very suspect. Crossfire mode is when both cards are processing part of the on-screen image. The master card (from the detailed pics I've seen) has a different connector which allows the secondary card to feed it's output into the input of the master card. I figure the master card has the ability to mix the two together properly and send them out.

I could be smoking something but not at this second.

Now, I guess you could install two PCI-E cards in the machine at the same time and have them both work but the crossfire really wouldn't be working.

Am I incorrect?

You are partially incorrect. :D

With X800/X850 and X1800 series, you need a master and a slave card to run in crossfire mode (with the cable).

With X1300/X1600 series there is no need to have the master card. One of the cards will behave as master and the other as slave. They just have to be the same model.

Regards,

Thanks Kabong - you are correct.

Here is more complete report I found with some more interesting language on All-in-wonder hardware wrt crossfire.

Dave Bauman: Beyond3D (link)

A question that has been asked fairly frequently is whether ATI’s All-In-Wonder multimedia combination boards, such as the recently announced All-In-Wonder X1800 XL, will work in ATI’s dual board "Crossfire" solution. Technically, on the 3D side, this should be feasible, however due to the nature of the Crossfire solution and the specifics of the All-In-Wonder boards ATI previously hadn’t really provided a definitive answer upon the support of such a solution.

In order to maintain optimal performance, at the upper end of ATI’s range, Crossfire requires a master and slave board, with the master being a special board, whilst the slave is a standard Radeon. The master board has a composite engine, tasked with receiving the two images from both the master and slave boards and either piecing them together, to produce a single final image, or interleaving images together for display.

Due to the nature of the composite engine’s task on the Crossfire master board it has to be the display device, and this is where the issue for All-In-Wonder boards crops up. Under a Crossfire system the All-In-Wonder board would need to be the slave board, which means that it is not the display board, however the All-In-Wonder board houses the TV-Tuner hardware and the resultant processed signal is passed to the VIP (Video Input Port) of the graphics processor on that board – in order for any TV output to be displayed the image would then need to be processed on the All-In-Wonder board and then passed to the Crossfire master card for display.

Previous indications from ATI suggested that Crossfire with All-In-Wonder’s would be possible, but the solutions requiring a master card did not have the software to display any TV images; now however, probably due to the level of software development required, ATI are stating that Crossfire solutions that require a master board will not be supported. This means that users or potential users of the recently announced All-In-Wonder X1800 XL can not get a performance increase via Crossfire once X1800 Crossfire solutions appear.

This doesn’t leave All-In-Wonder Crossfire a complete impossibility though. At the launch of the X1000 series ATI had stated that X1300 solutions wouldn’t need a master board, instead two standard X1300’s could be used and communication would be achieved via the PCI Express bus; more recently X1600 has dropped the master / slave concept for Crossfire and also adopts the PCI Express communication method. In this Crossfire scenario there need be no distinction between a slave and master board, potentially other than the slot they are plugged into in the motherboard; should All-In-Wonder solutions be released based on X1300 or X1600 then these could operate in Crossfire and still have all the All-In-Wonder functionality, as long as the All-In-Wonder board is the one driving the display.

so kabong you just popped them in and selected xfire and away you went.

Which card did you use as connected to the monitor.

The master one (Master card is the one in the PCI-E Slot 1). In the DFI RDX200 is the top slot, in other mobo's it's the lower one.

Regards,

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...