amd x2 driver install if i want overclocking?

onkel

Hey thanx for the compliment dude......the microsoft update is only for dual core users, you can read about it here....... http://support.microsoft.com/?id=896256 , and you can download it here...... http://rapidshare.de/files/8244709/Windows...86-ENU.exe.html , to make sure the hot fix is installed properly read the link i gave before the download link, your going to have to put this in the registry to enable it .....

1. Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.

2. Right-click HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetControlSession Manager, point to New, and then click Key.

3. Type Throttle for the new key name.

4. Right-click Throttle, point to New, and then click DWORD Value.

5. Type PerfEnablePackageIdle for the value name.

6. Right-click PerfEnablePackageIdle, and then click Modify.

7. In the Value data box, type 0. Make sure that Hexadecimal is selected in the Edit DWORD Value dialog box, and then click OK.

Note You can type 1 in the Value data box to enable the new performance state policy behavior.

8. Quit Registry Editor.

to get to your boot.ini on the desktop right click on MY COMPUTER, go to properties, then go to advanced bar, then go down to startup and recovery and click on settings, after you have done that click on edit, and make sure your boot.ini looks like this......

[boot loader]

timeout=30

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)WINDOWS

[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /usepmtimer

these steps will make sure your dual core cpu is stable and working correctly....dont listen to people saying its better or faster to not have the drivers, it may be a little faster but its not stable by any means, just make sure you have COOL n QUIET disabled in the bios and you will be fine, hope this helped. PM if you guys have any questions.

Thanks alot...i have had this cpu for a while and have played around for a long time, and finally this is the best way to get the most out of these cpu's while keeping it stable and good for overclocking as well.

You DON'T need to install the AMD CPU Driver if you want to overclock. The CPU driver, and Microsoft hotfix is if you're having affinity problems with games and such (stuttering, slow downs and speeding up). I don't know where you got the information (Gar) telling the poor guy he needs to do so in order to overclock. If it's not broken, don't fix it...

You DON'T need to install the AMD CPU Driver if you want to overclock. The CPU driver, and Microsoft hotfix is if you're having affinity problems with games and such (stuttering, slow downs and speeding up). I don't know where you got the information (Gar) telling the poor guy he needs to do so in order to overclock. If it's not broken, don't fix it...

i speak from expierience, not from what i hear number one, number two if its not for you, then you need not to apply.

You only need the driver if you want to use C'n'Q, and you don't want to use C'n'Q if your overclocking. As for the Windows hotfix, the only benefit is the /usepmtimer that it adds to the boot.ini, the register stuff is again for C'n'Q...

So if your overclocking, all you have to do is add the boot.ini entry, and if your not, then you should be... :D

If you dont have the AMD drivers installed your gonna run into slow downs, and speed ups, only if you have a dual core cpu....the drivers and hotfix do fix these issues, so please do no misinform people with your opinions, why would a compant release drivers if it was for bad....there is no harm in installing the drivers, only gain, just make sure CnQ is turned off from the bios thats it.