Computer will boot with mem in one of the top 2 slots only

OK just pulled my 3500 clawhammer that was running OCZ tccd ram in orang slots at 240x11. I cleared the comos (jumper and removing battery and power). I then put in an Opteron 144. It will only boot with (either stick tested both and both sticks are good) one stick in either of the top two slots (orange or yellow). Put the same stick in one of the bottom slots, an I get a lovely beeping. I have flashed to the 623-3 bios from 704bt but it made no difference.

This rig was prime95 stable for 24+ hours before the swap at 240x11 ram 1:1 2.5-3-10-3-7-17-3-2-2-3 1T lvl7! Have I over looked something besides the memory controler on the Opteron?

Edit: I started with booting with one stick in the orange slot at the top - entered bios saved defaults - rebooted - powered down - installed second stick in the other orange slot - lovely beeping then I did the above checking each slot with same known good stick.

How did you flash your BIOS? With "WinFlash" or did you use a floppy? If you used Tmod's CD I have found that whatever switches he is using with awdflash isn't necessarily the same as what is found at the official DFI bios download section - I noticed that this weekend when I replaced my DFI board with a new one. The official one flashes MUCH slower - if you don't believe me - check it out yourself. This suggests that there is a difference in the software switches being used...

I doubt it makes a big difference since so many people use Tmod's CD (and I'm sure appreciate his hard work) - but when it comes to the bios I'm starting to be more and more careful because of all the strange things that happen when people upgrade/downgrade their bioses (unexplainable things).

Just my two cents. Hope you find a solution my friend.

- Marco

I've got an identical problem, except it's on the nf4 SLI-DR Expert board. I have 2 sticks of OCZ DDR600 Platinum, 512MB, matched. I had previously used them in an Abit NF7-S v2.0 and was able to do dual channelwith no problems. Though when I try the memory in this board...The slots closest to the cpu wont work with either 1 or two sticks (Lovely beeping, 3 diagnostic LEDs lit). Also, the further slots act funny. The slot towards the middle is the only slot that works properly. The yellow slot doesn't seem to pick up memory (Only 512MB shows instead of 1GB), yet interferes somehow. I had tried to setup winxp with ram on the last two slots, but it freezes when loading up the xp cd. When I took out the furthest ram stick, the disc loaded very quickly. In any case, the only configuration that works is the 3rd slot from the CPU. Anything else causes beeping or problems in general. Suppose there's a BIOS update for this?

• 3 weeks later...