SCSI Vs SATA

Guest SaLadin_SS_merged

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's what I posted in a thread on SCSI about 3 weeks ago:

In the very first computer I built (circa summer 2000) I put a 29160N card and a Quantum Atlas 9.something GB 7200 RPM hard drive in it (and a 36 speed Plextor CD-ROM drive). As far as throughput went, I would have been better off taking $100 of that $500 extra I spent on the SCSI subsystem, buying a bigger IDE hard drive, and setting fire to the rest. At the time I was running a 700MHz Athlon (one of the then brand new Socket-A's!) on an FIC AZ11 with 256MB RAM, and a Seagate ATA33 drive for "non-performance-critical" ("gofer drive") storage (i.e. MP3s, documents, computer code for school, etc.). We'll call this computer PotatoFace (because, that's what it will be called when it gets recommissioned).

I didn't benchmark it until much later (around Spring 2003) and by then it had migrated into a ASUS A7N8X Deluxe with a 2600+ Thoroughbred and 512MB RAM, with a 80 GB Maxtor ATA133 drive (this one is called SoulPatch). At this point in its life, it was the "gofer" drive, mostly because of its small size. Then I benched it with Sandra and a couple other programs. Booyy was I surprised. The Seagate ATA33 from PotatoFace was very close to beating it, and it cost about $400 less than the SCSI drive once you factor in the cost of the card too. I was living in a dorm at the time and my friend that lived 2 doors down had a 39160 and was getting similar results for his drive. We poured over Google, looking for answers, and found none. We then dubbed the technology with a rude slur and never took it seriously for a desktop system ever again.

Then SATA drives became mainstream and there was much rejoicing. I upgraded to SATA about 6 months ago and decommissioned the SCSI when it made the Linux part of my dual-boot set up go into kernel panic on boot.

Yes, due to the design of the interface, the controller will run at 32bit PCI speeds when inserted into a standard PCI slot.

oh so thats why those longer cards have like 3-4 notches on the bottom

damn then another problem arrives

what card will fit. cause i dont want the card so long itll block off my sata ports lol

It really depends on your purpose. SCSI's main benefit is the ability to serve simultaneous I/O requests managed by the controller/chip. This is why they are a must have for servers.

SCSI also works very well with multi-thread applications and processors.

For gaming and most desktop uses, the cost is just not worth it.