Can the bios get currupted after you are in windows?

fscussel

19 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yes
    • No

Hello, is it possible to the bios get corrupted after you are in windows? I mean, you are overclocked, 250+ HTT, the system boots up fine, then you are working in windows and the computer unexpectly turn off, can the bios get corrupted that way?

Thanks.

Such crashes are more likely caused by

most likely from some weakness within system :-

1)Memory error/instability

2)Driver problem - most often a bsos rather than

unexpectly turn off

These don't effect the bios.

Other factors:-

Using windows Bios setting tweaking tools:-

1) By user error - keying wrong/over ambitious setting setting

2) Using non recomended apps like Ntune - this has been seen to seriously corrupt bios in a number of 64 mobos not just DFI.

3) bad Winflash

Only Other factors 2) or 3) has screwed bios that i'm aware of from windows.

if you are using ntune and it corrupts the bios, will the system instantly turn off or will you get problems only when you restart the system
depends what is altered. but both can occur. have seen pps have issues with vanished usb connections. This was caused by Ntune go figure.

depends what is altered. but both can occur. have seen pps have issues with vanished usb connections. This was caused by Ntune go figure.

ok but that means changing settings with ntune... if you use it only to check bios values without changing any value, can it still corrupt the bios?

I corrupted the bios by turning power on and off at the cheapo power strip when trying to get RAID 0 during windows setup (F6). To clear the bios, I followed the instructions on this board, which included removing the battery, leaning on the the mobo's power switch for several minutes, etc. and I got a bios message indicating it was corrupted. I loaded the optimal defaults (any other kind?). I also had reboot problems when the video card wan't attached to the monitor.