new nforce drivers killed windows?

Just wondering if anyone had problems with the new nforce3 chipset drivers 5.11?

I tried to install them it caused the PC to reset and windows wouldnt boot at all in any mode, it reset it about half way through installation. Set computer to defaults again so it wasnt overclocked and reinstalled windows and it just did the same thing... any ideas?

Obvious answer is just dont install them but sucks if I can't even use the latest drivers.

I was about to post on a similar topic. I have experienced the exact same problem with installing the nForce drivers on my DFI NF3 250GB board. However, installation success of the drivers have been hit and miss. I thought I had solved it by installing the drivers for my Promise TX133 IDE controller before anything else, but I could have gotten lucky.

Anyone else able to confirm issues with installation of the new nForce drivers in Windows XP?

I had this issue on a totally fresh install. I had to reformat, reinstall and used 5.10 and have had no problems.

If it's the same with my nf3 250, you must disable the NIC in the bios, because the new lan driver can make bsods during install or uninstall. Also disabling LAN will cause it.

As in 5.11 the only update is the lan driver that causes this, it's better to keep 5.10s.

If you intend to install 5.11s, try to disable nic first and enable then. Keep in mind that probably you'll bsod when disabling the nic in windows or uninstalling the driver (need to turn off again in bios).

On the other hand, if you intend to skip lan drivers and install them from 5.10, you better install only the older 5.10, because the only difference between 5.10 and 5.11 is the nic driver.

I have been using my own remix package of drivers for my NF3. I used the official NF4 drivers 6.66 with the GART driver from the 6.53 Remix package. I DO NOT use the nVidia IDE drivers. I could never get them to install with either my NF2 board or my NF3. The drivers I use are more recent than the "newer" official 5.11 drivers. I have not had any problems with my "remix package". I even use nVidia's on-chip firewall with no problems.

The 6.53 remix can be found here: http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=1042

• 1 month later...