Sign in to follow this  
Jaxidian

Noisy Chipset Fan

All of a sudden my chipset fan (oem) on my NF4-D is noisy. It sounds like I have heard other fans sound just before going dead but they always sounded like this for like 5 seconds before dying and this thing has now been doing this for hours. The speed of the fan sounds pretty steady and it is only noisy when it is spinning at over 2k rpm (at 1k or lower it's silent).

Is there a known problem with the fan where I might be able to resolve this or is it definitely going dead?

Now with the assumption that it's going dead, what are my options for having DFI replace it? From their website it sounds as though I have no chance at RMA'ing it here in the US (I'm in Indiana) and if I talk to my reseller I'm sure they'll want me to send the board back. I'd like for DFI to just mail me a new fan and leave it at that so I don't have to tear my box apart and have it sitting useless for weeks. Is that an option?

Note: I attempted to post this in the "Ask DFI" forums but they're locked and there really wasn't an obvious better place for this question so forgive me if I'm in the wrong forum for such a question.

Thanks!

-Jax

Hmmm, after doing a little more searching figured I'd clarify some things. It seems as though the fan goes from quiet mode to noisy mode between 1k and 1.5k rpm. It's not running at 7k rpm or anything like that like other people have posted when complaining about the noise. I've been running this box rock solid without any changes for the past 5-6 months without this problem and this just started happening tonight (actually when I was going to bed, I heard it from a couple rooms away).

Just wanted to clarify this to make sure it's understood that this isn't just due to a normally noisy fan, it seems as though this is being defectively noisy (if such a claim can be made).

-Jax

I'm fairly certain that DFI will send you a new fan if you send them an email or give them a call. Otherwise there are a few aftermarket fans that'll fit-I believe Vantec makes one. Theres a thread somewhere around here (sorry I couldn't find it myself...) that has them listed.

I may both buy a new one as well as request a replacement. That way if one dies I have the other as a backup.

Any idea what phone # or email address to use?

-Jax

The stock fan seems to do this often, so getting another stock one will probably only temperarily fix the problem. I'g go ahead and order the evercool if I were you.

btw, you mentioned something about having to tear the box apart...ya you'll have to take the board out to replace it, so you should just put a good one in now, so you won't have to worry about it 3 months from now.

Went to the local Fry's and they didn't have much selection. I ended up getting an Vantec Iceberg 4 and after removing the blue plastic fan grill thingie it worked perfectly. Without removing that my video card pressed against the plastic but now there is a gap between my video card and the hsf. I would have ordered the Evercool but I needed a quick fix and this was about the best I could find. Perhaps I'll still get a stock replacement so if this Vantec fails I'll have a stock fan to use temporarily while I order an Evercool. :)

Thanks for the help!