Plextor PX-716A - only multiword DMA mode 2 possible

Hello,

I had to disable UDMA in BIOS for my Plextor PX-716A (firmware 1.09) because during burning process data transfered to the device is corrupted. I can burn DVD-R's and CDR's successfully but after that media verifycation shows errors in every written sector. After switching to multiword DMA mode 2 data was integer. I replaced cables, tried different media and tested it finally in different computers, there have been no problems running it on UDMA4, it's only happening with the RDX200. Is there anyone else having this problem?

Curretnly we found it's a common problem of ALL ATI SB450 problem ... We are seeking the help from ATI but no response yet ...

Thank you very much. :)

It's not such a big problem for me because I can walk around the problem. But it would be nice if ATI could fix it.

So the ATI SB has problems with all writers or devices running at UDMA4?

@ Tiger

The LG GSA-4163B runs on UDMA2. Multiword DMA mode 2 and UDMA2 are similar.

• 4 weeks later...
Hello,

I had to disable UDMA in BIOS for my Plextor PX-716A (firmware 1.09) because during burning process data transfered to the device is corrupted. I can burn DVD-R's and CDR's successfully but after that media verifycation shows errors in every written sector. After switching to multiword DMA mode 2 data was integer. I replaced cables, tried different media and tested it finally in different computers, there have been no problems running it on UDMA4, it's only happening with the RDX200. Is there anyone else having this problem?

Merlin76,

How did you force your Plextor 716 to Work in UDMA2 (IDE cable?). I have the same problem and would like to solve it too, using UDMA2, which is more than enough to this drive, but I didn´t find any BIOS option that would allow me to do that. Windows doesn´t let me change that too. :confused:

I can only think of using a standard IDE cable, that does not support UDMA4.

Oskar,

Any news from ATI ? Is it possible to have a BIOS option to "lock" the IDE channel to UDMA2 ?

Regards,

Go into BIOS -> Integrated Peripherals -> South OnChip IDE Device -> disable UDMA for the channel the Plextor PX-716A is connected to.

So, I supose that the Plextor still works OK with UDMA completely disabled.

Thanks.

Regards,

Ive been having a problem with my drives as well, but this is for IDE.

For some reason, i cannot get any of my drives to work in any kind of DMA mode except for my SATA HDD. If i set them to any mode other than PIO in Windows, they disappear and cannot be read. I am currently using the 10/11 bios and i think i will flash to 11/23 tomorrow.