HELP! NooB Problem with Onboard Temp Sensors

Hi - Hopefully someone can help me. I've just built a new machine the specs are listed below. The bios i'm using is the default that came with my NF4 Ultra-D mobo. The problem I am having is that the system is unable to sense my chipset temperatures. After first Windows installation, I installed NTune from the DFI disk, which did show me the temperature (29C) but after I went through and updated all my chipset drivers and everything I can no longer see them. Also, if I actually go into the BIOS, it is not properly capturing the temps there either - reporting (-128C) for CPU/NF4 temps. I would post my BIOS version, but honestly, I'm not sure how to find that because the DFI graphic comes up and i dont' see it listed at boot time.

I also tried MBM5, and followed the instructions to replace the Data directory with the contents of the NF4 rar file on the MBM thread. I did that, and it is showing all my voltages, CPU MHZ and Fan speeds, but no cpu temps. I've searched around everywhere and haven't found anyone with my problem. Any suggestions you guys could make would help a bunch!

Thanks in advance.....Scott in Lex, KY.

hey, scott! welcome to dfi-street. always good to see a fellow kentuckian!

your motherboard's driver CD should have a BIOS flashing utility on it called winflash or something like that. install it and use it to flash to a newer BIOS. this is usually the remedy for horribly incorrect temp readings.

btw, to see your bios revision, go into the bios, and disable the DFI logo. then you'll be able to see the bios revision when booting. it should also display the bios revision somewhere in the bios itself but i'm not certain.

Thanks Vega127 for the quick reply. I tried flashing my bios using TMod's utility cd, and by all indications, it successfully loaded DFI bios 6-23-3. However, when I go back into my bios, it still gives me the bad readings '-128' for my cpu/wmi/nf4 chipsets. Also, of course, since BIOS isn't reading it, then neither can anything else (MBM5 or Ntune).

Still trying - anybody else got any ideas?

I updated to the latest nForce drivers from the NVidia website, v6.70 for AMD/Winxp32. Here is the link to where I downloaded from:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/nforce_nf4_wi...2_amd_6.70.html

It includes the following drivers:

Windows XP/2000 Driver Versions

* Audio driver version 4.62 (WHQL)

* Audio utility version 4.51

* Ethernet NRM driver version 4.82 (WHQL)

* Network management tools version 4.88

* SMBus driver version 4.50 (WHQL)

* Installer version 4.93

* Legacy PATA RAID driver version 5.52

* SATA RAID driver version 5.52 (WHQL)

* IDE driver version 5.52 (WHQL)

* RAIDTOOL application version 5.52

I did not install the IDE driver or Network management tools because that firewall crap is annoying, and I use a 3rd party firewall (ZoneLabs Integrity Desktop). Maybe I should just try to go back to the drivers from my DFI cd that came with the motherboard then?

thanks....

I get this problem too...

Computer has been fine for ~3 months now. But now sometimes the temp sensors just randomly fail (-128C), at this point I reset it (or try to shutdown, but it doesnt respond and it just resets).

I cant turn it off (via case power button or motherboard power button) it just doesnt respond, but it WILL reset, at this point I turn of the PSU and restart manually and the problem is solved, but the next day it may or may not happen again. Is this RMA'able?

System is in sig as per forum rules. (Updated)

EDIT: I did have one cold boot before all this happened, but a quick 10minute CMOS clear solved that. That is the only cold boot I have ever had... to date.

Well, I took your advice and shut down the computer totally. Turned off and unplugged the power supply and let it sit for about 10 minutes. Plugged it back in, booted up and voila. The temps are there and look right.

Thanks guys for all the help this morning. Feel silly for not thinking about trying that a little earlier, but hey, i'm an old unix guy putting together my first pc. the last thing i ever think about is a cold reboot :) thanks again everyone!

weird. i'm glad it fixed your problem. the cold boot fixing the problem must be because you updated your BIOS. i forgot to mention earlier that you're supposed to do a cold boot and "reset to optimized defaults" in the BIOS after updating BIOS.

glad it worked out!

edit: please edit the subject line of this thread with [FIXED] at the beginning so people can see the problem has been remedied. thanks!

if you've tried uninstalling and reinstalling different versions of chipset drivers via "control panel / add,remove programs / nvidia" followed by drivercleanerpro, as well as different BIOS revisions, i think RMA is your only hope. i can't imagine any other practical solution to a temp sensor problem. the motherboard should have a 1-year warranty so start with contacting the retailer. if you got it from newegg, for example, you shouldn't have a problem.