DFI Expert CPU temp sensor reporting incorrectly?

yes, the new bios does nothing more than provide a manual offset... it does nothing to address the real problem.

in other words, it's pointless.

DITTO... such a bodge fix by DFI... if its something they cant fix, wish they would just admit it and put us all out of our misery!!! Otherwise we just end up waiting for bios releases all the time!!!!

Ive a heftyish overclock on my system, for air, and the only thing that reassures me is my rather noisy YS-Tech 120 which pushes 125cfm over an XP120 heatsink!! Cant really risk a lower, quieter fan until I can accurately measure the temps. Talk of using a probe, also seems somewhat pointless, as even that will not provide a comparable temp... the bottom line is that we need to know how much the current temps are off by!!!

Come on DFI.. sort it out!!!!!

• Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest burningrave101
3/29/06 is 'a while' in new BIOS release terms? Not compared to the last interval it would seem.

I think a month is a long enough period of time for them to address the temp issue if its actually fixable by a BIOS update. I hate it that i bought a $200 board that can't even read accurate temps. Temperatures are VERY important when overclocking and since this is suppost to be THE overclocking board it should have good accurate temperature sensors that are not off by like 10-15C or somethin. I mean thats a huge difference were talking about and can result in having poor overclocking results since you dont realize your CPU is getting too hot. It can even result in an earlier demise of the CPU altogether.

I think a month is a long enough period of time for them to address the temp issue if its actually fixable by a BIOS update. I hate it that i bought a $200 board that can't even read accurate temps. Temperatures are VERY important when overclocking and since this is suppost to be THE overclocking board it should have good accurate temperature sensors that are not off by like 10-15C or somethin. I mean thats a huge difference were talking about and can result in having poor overclocking results since you dont realize your CPU is getting too hot. It can even result in an earlier demise of the CPU altogether.

Yeah, all I'm saying is that they weren't able to in the previous 3 months (last interval between bios) so what are the chances of having it done now?

Guest burningrave101

Anyone done any more temperature testing to get a better idea for sure how far the sensors are off on average?

Anyone done any more temperature testing to get a better idea for sure how far the sensors are off on average?

There's no possible answer to your questione.

Half of the Expert boards shows correct temperatiures.

Some shows just a little lower temperatures

and some shows a lot lower temperatures.

On my first Expert board which died after two months I had those CPU temps:

Idle - 25°C, Full load - 37°C

When I waiting for replacement for dead board I temporarily used Ultra-D motherboard and CPU (the same) temps was 8°C higher:

Idle - 33°C, Full load - 45°C

Than I get my new Expert board as replacement for first one and on my surprise it shows correct temperatures. I have this new Expert board for 3 months now and it always show me this temperatures:

Idle - 33°C, Full load - 45°C

I checked it with temperature instrument and it shows that those temps are correct.

Chipset Idle tmperature is 49°C and PWMIC is 42°C

I replaced chipset fan with passive cooler and in full load I get 57°C on it which is still OK for a chipset.

So, I think we can't expect that new BIOS will repair this bug.

It seems that problem is the board itself or at least some of them.

Maybe bad sensors on some boards or something like that.

Ive had a similar problem with that board when I had it. It told me the temperature was 20 degrees C on the stock cooler :confused: and the heatsink you could barely keep your finger on it. I did the bios flash and all that also tryed a bunch of different forums and noone really new.

Solution

Download a program called "central brain identifier".

It will show you the CPU Probes Thermal Offset. usualy it is a problem with the CPU itself. I'm lucky as mine is only off by a single degree, usualy this is not the case.

Mine is -1 meaning my CPU is reporting one degree cooler than it should.

Once you download, install and run, click on Mobility -> Then P-states.

It will show your thermal offset at the bottom.

if it works PM me as I probably won't reply back here.

Sometimes I get error running CBID the first time, if I get that I just close it and try again.

Good luck.

P.S. I did nt read all 25 pages of this thread if this has already been mentioned.

I must confess I hate it as well. Before buying my Ultra-D, I couldn't ever think the Queen of OC would have that issue. If it's really amazing for OC, why doesn't it at least do its simple job of measuring accurately the temps?

To sum up: it's a shame!!!

Should have read the whole thread a little more carefully.

The P-state is NOT accurate. I had three different Opteron 146s that read +3, -9, and +20 respectively. Here's the +20 screen.

Pstate.gif

So mine is reporting 20 degrees hotter than it is? No way Jose.

I've had a lot of contact with Vitaliy Jungle (VVW of CBID) and he is working on a modification to his NextSensor program. He is a really smart Dude, as are the DFI engineers and techs. No shame involved here.

As Tony from OCZ has pointed out on more than one occasion. All boards have errors reading temps. Lot of factors involved here - Variability of the on-board temperature diode on the CPU, variances in the very good but very inexpensive ITE8712F sensors, inaccuracies in the software that translates the information so we can read it, cooling done by the CPU Heatsink itself.

Here's a link to a thread at XS if you want to see some more software monitoring discussions.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=93386

Does 30-32C idle sound about right for an X2 4400+ with a stock heat sink? I think it must be close...the stock heat sink seems to be of a very good quality. Load temps are about 42-45C.(no artic silver yet, stock thermal pad)

Should have read the whole thread a little more carefully.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=93386

My Appologies for not having the time to sort through 25 pages, I got this advice from XS a while back and though it might be relevant to the issue.

Thanks for the links interesting stuff. I am glad mine reads temps as expected. I never expect an exact temperature from anything as long as they are close enough to shut down my computer when it exceeds what I feel is a safe increase in temperature for my CPU.

It only worries me if I don't trust the sensor enough to shut down in case of fan failure or in my case pump failure.

Thanks for the pic of the thermal offset being 20, No way that could be correct!