DFI Expert CPU temp sensor reporting incorrectly?

• Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

I've been following this thread for quite some time because my temps too do not report correctly. I usually just use smart guardian for my monitoring but today while priming I pulled up everest and sg and watched them both at the same time. I don't claim to understand how these programs work but did notice something, everest and ite reported the exact same temps but labled the sensors

diffently.

Temps at idle

everest										ite

motherboard		  34 C			   PWMIC	   34 C

cpu				  39 C			   Chipset	 39 C

aux				  24 C			   CPU		 24 C

At load (dual prime)

everest									   ite

motherboard		  42 C			  PWMIC	  42 C

cpu				  39-40 C		   Chipset	39-40 C

aux				  36-38 C		   CPU		36-38 C

I noticed that when running prime the motherboard/pwmic jumped up fairly quick but was slow to cool off, the cpu/chipset temps stayed pretty much the same throughout, the aux/cpu temps jumped up quicker than the others and cooled off even quicker than they went up. I guess I thought that the readings I was getting on the motherboard/pwmic seemed to act like temps from a cpu and might warrant some of you who have much more knowledge than me on the subject to look into if you have time. If I am completely off base just let me know I'll delete or a mod can delete.

Thanks,

Eric

Everest has a known bug that swaps the CPU and aux(chipset) temps.

I have a low flow water setup (pump running at a lazy 5v with a very slow 800rpm fan bringing air into the radiator) and the CPU idles at about 18 degrees according to the Expert's New Math. Real ambient temperature in the room is about 22.

I also want to rescind my previous post about the chipset temperature possibly being correct on the Expert. I don't think it is. Mine idles at about 38 on the Expert with the Evercool VC-RE. My brother's Ultra-D idles at around 51-52 with the stock fan, and goes up to 65(!!!) under load. When stock, mine would only hit about 52 under load in "Expert-degrees."

Food for thought... or a superfluous continuation of a thread. Either way the temps are off by 10 degrees seemingly across the board and I hope DFI fixes it.

... but the never versions mix it up again, like build 550.

Yesterday I took some time to measure CPU temps with different water temps. Ambient was 25°C, later 26°C.

With fans @12V, my water temp stayed 5° above ambient. Idle, my readings for CPU (C&Q) are 5° below water temperature. Load, they go up to water temperature, ususally staying 1-2° below water.

With fans @6V, my water stayes 7° above ambient. CPU reads 4 to 0° below water, usually staying at 1-2° below water.

These temps are off at least 5°, more realistic would be somewhere between 5-10°. Also I'm not sure why my temps are jumping this much... it doesn't really make sense.

First off, since this is my very first post on DFI-Street (I've been lurking for the past month :O), I'd like to give props to Angry, RGone and everybody else that posts here for providing an extremely handy place to obtain a vast amount of info about anything DFI related and more. It's much appreciated.

On another note, I thought I'd post my temp readings. This is my first custom build so I'm not quite sure if they're wrong or right.

Prime95 = 8.5 hours w/o any errors

Room temp = 22c

Idle:

mbm5-idle.jpg

Load:

mbm5-load.jpg

Everything else is in my sig. :D

my expert with 12/7 bios seems to be accurate enough. i would imagine theres a temp sensor somewhere on the board itself? if so configuration of hardware could have an effect. anyway i'm surprised noone thats so worried about it hasnt just gooed a digital thermometer to the base of their heatsink with some as5 lol, or get one of these

http://www.arizonatools.com/tools/temperat...tail/RAYST20XB/

...jeesh..i really dont give to sheets in the wind if mine is off a few degrees. my rule of thumb is if u cant touch the heatsink coz its too hot....then its too hot.

my expert with 12/7 bios seems to be accurate enough. i would imagine theres a temp sensor somewhere on the board itself? if so configuration of hardware could have an effect. anyway i'm surprised noone thats so worried about it hasnt just gooed a digital thermometer to the base of their heatsink with some as5 lol, or get one of these

http://www.arizonatools.com/tools/temperat...tail/RAYST20XB/

...jeesh..i really dont give to sheets in the wind if mine is off a few degrees. my rule of thumb is if u cant touch the heatsink coz its too hot....then its too hot.

alot of us need to be a bit more precise when we push our rigs to the 40% overclock and beyond... and since the entire point of the Expert board is to allow for better overclocks, it just seems rather silly that so many of their boards were built with faulty sensors!

Man...my new build so far has gone as low as 21C idle so my temp sensors might whack as well. During idle however, the CPU fan at many times does not spin, so maybe it is pretty cool. I'm using the stock heatpipe fan. I wonder how I am going to OC now and check temps.

Does anybody of suggestions on how to OC even with these faulty temp readings? Perhaps using external thermometers?

Man...my new build so far has gone as low as 21C idle so my temp sensors might whack as well. During idle however, the CPU fan at many times does not spin, so maybe it is pretty cool. I'm using the stock heatpipe fan. I wonder how I am going to OC now and check temps.

Does anybody of suggestions on how to OC even with these faulty temp readings? Perhaps using external thermometers?

As mentioned earlier in this thread, the BIOS has a setting which turns the fan off once it reads <25c. You need to force it to stay on by setting the max temp before the fan gets turned on to >25c.

Until you can get accurate readings, I'd advise against OC'ing. 21c is room temp if that tells you anything.

You could however mount a probe on the side of the processor (also mentioned earlier in this thread.) It won't be a 100% accurate reading but it probably/might be closer than what your BIOS is reading.