DFI Expert CPU temp sensor reporting incorrectly?

• Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I recently had the unique opportunity to try out a CPU that I was using on the Expert on the Ultra-D. Judging from the temperatures reported on the Ultra-D, it would seem that the Expert probably reports the Chipset temperature correctly, or at least as correctly as the Ultra-D does. The PWMIC temperature might be correct as well, but I was going from memory so I can't say for sure.

It seems that everyone's CPU temps on the Expert are not only off, but off by a different amount from board to board. If the other temperatures are in fact reporting correctly or at least consistently, doesn't that suggest a faulty CPU temperature diode?

I recently had the unique opportunity to try out a CPU that I was using on the Expert on the Ultra-D. Judging from the temperatures reported on the Ultra-D, it would seem that the Expert probably reports the Chipset temperature correctly, or at least as correctly as the Ultra-D does. The PWMIC temperature might be correct as well, but I was going from memory so I can't say for sure.

It seems that everyone's CPU temps on the Expert are not only off, but off by a different amount from board to board. If the other temperatures are in fact reporting correctly or at least consistently, doesn't that suggest a faulty CPU temperature diode?

I've thought about that, but have no idea what it would entail to test it; or better yet, replace it.

I seriously think that DFI should make it one of their goals, for their NEXT series of motherboards, to give us the world's most accurate temperature sensors! I'd like to see them accurate to within 1/10th of a degree!

After all, your average $10 digital rectal thermometer doesnt seem to have a problem doing so... lol ;)

Hi,

I've been following this thread for quite some time because my temps too do not report correctly. I usually just use smart guardian for my monitoring but today while priming I pulled up everest and sg and watched them both at the same time. I don't claim to understand how these programs work but did notice something, everest and ite reported the exact same temps but labled the sensors

diffently.

Temps at idle

everest										ite

motherboard		  34 C			   PWMIC	   34 C

cpu				  39 C			   Chipset	 39 C

aux				  24 C			   CPU		 24 C

At load (dual prime)

everest									   ite

motherboard		  42 C			  PWMIC	  42 C

cpu				  39-40 C		   Chipset	39-40 C

aux				  36-38 C		   CPU		36-38 C

I noticed that when running prime the motherboard/pwmic jumped up fairly quick but was slow to cool off, the cpu/chipset temps stayed pretty much the same throughout, the aux/cpu temps jumped up quicker than the others and cooled off even quicker than they went up. I guess I thought that the readings I was getting on the motherboard/pwmic seemed to act like temps from a cpu and might warrant some of you who have much more knowledge than me on the subject to look into if you have time. If I am completely off base just let me know I'll delete or a mod can delete.

Thanks,

Eric

And then of course, different versions of Everest name the sensors differently :)

In Everest Ultimate latest Edition (2.8X)

The sensor Everest labels as Motherboard IS the PWMIC sensor on DFI LanParty

The sensor Everest labels as CPU IS the NF Chipset sensor on DFI's

And the sensor Everest labels as AUX is the CPU temp on DFI's

I posted this in "IX's" - Got my Venus thread a few days ago.

http://premium1.uploadit.org/soundx98//Venus-Temps.JPG

Interestesting, as you see all the programs report almost identical results.

sorry .. i guess i was thinking that if those programs labled them wrong then maybe our bios somehow had them labled wrong .. ie the pwmic running at idle around 30 C and at load around 41 C or so and maybe thinking that was actually the cpu sensor but then what sensor would be reporting temps from 24 or so to 38 or so that could change so quickly.. guess i was way off base sorry