DFI Expert CPU temp sensor reporting incorrectly?

If you can prime stable, who really cares what the temp sensor says? Just apply the same common sense you normally would when upping the voltage and test for stability before running 24/7.

I'd like a definitive fix or answer on this too (I just bought an Expert), but until we get one I'm still planning to overclock as I always have.

• Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was thinking the same thing myself.

I've always found that a PC would refuse to boot into Windows or run Prime for more than a few minutes if there was an issue with the CPU well before it got anywhere near dangerously hot provided sensible cooling was in place. I've actually found with my CPU as the voltage approaches 1.6 then the idle temperature starts to approach the on -oad temp. Based on posts on this board from those with temp probes, the PWM and chipset readings and from reading around forums in general I've added 10 degrees to the temp reported by the BIOS in MBM. This gives an idle temp of about 38 degrees and on load temp of 48. I can tell when I'm giving it too much juice as the idle temp goes up to about 43 degrees, and although I can run two instances of SuperPi 32M, 3DMark05 bombs out after 5 minutes.

It's only a number, the important thing is not to note the absolute value, but how it changes relative to the reading you get when idle at stock speeds.

Well that's my take on it anyway!

Tim

Tech Support -

My Customer purchased from DFI Expert from NewEgg (On-Line Retailer), their website is www.newegg.com - Order totaled $207.99 with shipping - on 12/16/2005, Our Order # 2573xxxx, NewEgg Invoice # 1481xxxx.

(Where do you wish the Invoice to be faxed? I Need phone number and contact. Frank Wong at DFI? Would a link to the invoice be sufficient? Should I send a copy of the Invoice with the Processor?)

Purchaser/Owner of Record:

Joe xxxx xxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxx

Lake Bluff, IL 60044

Equipment Assembled By:

Carl Bowar aka soundx98ATgmail.com

2800 Skokie Highway

North Chicago, IL 60064

Phone (847-xxx-xxxx)

Board Serial # U54905584 Revision is AAO.

I have tried 4 different processors on this board and it appears that using the Bios, SmartGuardian, MBM5 or Speedfan the Temperatures appear to be 10 degrees LOWER than the same processors in a DFI NF4 SLI-D. Only the motherboard was changed in the computer. Everything else was the same.

The processor I am willing to send to you for testing is an AMD 4000+ Venice.

Awaiting your reply.

Sincerely Yours,

Carl Bowar

Hardly scientific but I ran 4 different processors (default settings) first in the SLI-D and then swapped motherboards to the Expert. All other equipment remained the same. Used AS5 with a 24 hour burn in. Consistently 9-10 degrees difference.

lot of data but temps were 22-25-30 in Expert and 31-34-38 in the SLI-D.

Just keeping you posted. At this point I can seem to see a difference between chips but only CPU I feel like giving up is the 4000+.

I'll keep you posted.

Hi,

I've just received an answer to my email a day after sending it, nice :) but it doesn't help at all. :( ( I have a nf4 sli-dr not expert) idle temp

Here is the answer:

"Dear Customer,

Thank you for taking time submit us the query. We recommend that using our bundled hardware monitor utilities included in driver CD for system health monitoring instead 3rd-Party software e.g. MBM5. Please reconfirm whether the situation as well exist the improper behavior of lower value and feedback us the CPU spec. including the stepping code on lid. Meanwhile regarding the concern of lower CPU temperature cause cooler FAN delayed responding, please make adjustment within BIOS to make all the temperature setting to lowest: 250C for emphasizing protection. If there’s still further query please don’t hesitate to let us know.

Best..."

The problem that i have explained in my email is that my Fan temp is already set to the lowest (25°) and as my idle temp is 18-20°, my cpu fan only starts when my PC is at full charge. I don't want to let my PC running without a CPU fan.

Also MBM5 report seems quite accurate (at least as accurate as bios temp :rolleyes: ) since my cpu fan starts as soon as MBM displays 25°.

I wish they will find another solution. : Finding a way to set up CPU fan's start below 25°C could be usefull (start at 17° & full throttle at 28-30° would be ok for me)

I hope my "frenglish" is not too confusing. :D

Guest Bulldog

Quick update.

A Beta BIOS for the Expert board will likely be released next week to resolve a lower CPU temp issue sometimes occuring after a user uses a "S3" (Suspend to RAM) function. This BIOS is not intended to solve the larger issue being discussed here. (That being lower reported CPU temps under any circumstances.) So to avoid any confusion please do not see this new BIOS as a fix for this current issue. Users may of course try this BIOS in an attempt to solve this problem, and if it has the secondary effect of resolving this problem as well then please post your results here.

The current issue is still being looked at and is proving hard to pin as no pattern can be established as to when and where it will happen. To remedy this we have requested a few people suffering from lower reported CPU temps to send their CPU's to our HQ in Taiwan for further inspection. I believe that these people have posted in this thread. If you are one of these people then please get your CPU sent :D Once the issue has been duplicated a solution will likely quickly follow. The trick to solving any MB issue is to get it reproduced under lab conditions.

Humh? What that say to you there Mr. soundx98? Four (4) cpus the same resultant low temp exhibted on 'expert'. I am just dense I suppose. I get lost in all this scientific mumbo jumbo. Maybe it will all become clear once I figure out why four different processors all exhibit the same thing.

RGone...

Hardly scientific but I ran 4 different processors (default settings) first in the SLI-D and then swapped motherboards to the Expert. All other equipment remained the same. Used AS5 with a 24 hour burn in. Consistently 9-10 degrees difference.

lot of data but temps were 22-25-30 in Expert and 31-34-38 in the SLI-D.

Just keeping you posted. At this point I can seem to see a difference between chips but only CPU I feel like giving up is the 4000+.

I'll keep you posted.

At least most of you are getting results that change...my X2 just sits at 34c regardless of idle or load. One thing for sure is that due to all the strange readings from members, I'm sure it's nothing more than a bios update.

Guest Bulldog

@Radical 53

Indeed sending precious parts away is a bit of a paranoia experience. But if you were having good OC'ing results then you wouldn't likely be having the temp issue and wouldn't need to send your CPU off anyway. It's a bit hard to get a good clock without accurate temps. (Nice neat logic circle eh? :nod: )

Why am I sending the processor?

Not really sure as it doesn't sound logical to me either. But WTF.

maybe it will help in some way. dunno.

No one asked what Bios I am using but it's the Expert by BigToe.

The processor is ready for shipment. Just sent e-mail to Frank.

Keeping everyone advised here. So you know I used SmartGuardian and speedfan as well as MBM 5. Doin' what I can.

Doctor Nerdlinger out.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Frank,

I have been advised to send my AMD A64 4000+ to you by [email protected].

I believe the board is reading temperatures low.

They have requested I send my CPU to DFI and they will replace it within two

weeks.

I have received a FedEx number to ship with.

Can you please verify address to ship CPU to you and any other instructions.

I am including copies of receipts for Expert board, Serial #, Revision # and

CPU receipt.

Those are the items they requested along with the CPU.

Dear Customer,

Thank you for the cooperation. We prefer to deliver us CPU through our FedEx

account; after receive your parcel we shall return your CPU or one brand new

4000+ to your site within 2 weeks. Please also attach your CPU FAN and hard

copy of CPU invoice, Therefore you don’t need to fax the invoice(s) in

advance. You may also reconfirm the status with us or through our Technical

manager of US branch: Frank Wong as included in CC list.

FedEx Account Number:

1482-xxxxx

Best,

Junyen

Best Regards, and thanks in advance for the help.

@Alex** - guilty as charged.

Keep it on the downlow as I wouldn't want the fact that I am member of the forum to hurt business. I've been telling them that MBM5 stands for Five Star Mercedes Benz Modifications :D

Many customers are already concerned regarding my state of mind.

Don't want to throw fodder on the fire.

"What's the difference between a porcupine and a BMW"?

"The porcupine has the pricks on the outside" :nod: