DFI Expert CPU temp sensor reporting incorrectly?

I think its pretty obvious its a fault with the motherboard, the annoying thing about all this is its their best motherboard out at the moment I spent over $100 extra on this mobo over the other manufacurers just because I want to overclock and now I have to blindly overclock my CPU hoping its not too hot :mad:

I've tried all temp monitoring progs they all give 25c and even when the temp does rise I dont think the fluctuation is read properly either

• Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Found this thread via a thread on XS... so I signed up to add some of my info.. maybe it helps or not... LOL

AMD 4400x2 2.6Ghz (260x10) 1.4vcore

Idle temps 29-30, 100% Load 40-41C, S&M test 43C.. All temps were measured with an ambient temp of 20C

I did have an odd experience with my temp readings.... I ran the same temps as above but with less airflow. Now I had to add one 120mm extra air intake to compensate for the 3-4C temp increase I had overnight.

NC™

Need some more info if we could.

This is an Expert,correct?

Board Revision -

All three lines of CPU stepping is available

voltage and bios used.

Temps from where? Bios, SG, MBM, SF?

Thanks

I doubt it's correct for all DFI mobo's.. I had an Ultra-D prior, then a Asus Premium to end up with the SLI-DR.

They all read roughly the same temps when I ran my Opteron 148 @ 3Ghz.... this OC'ed 4400 runs at roughly the same temps. I'm more tempted to say it's a board revision matter.

NC™

Interesting comment

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showpo...223&postcount=5

"The issue with most of the boards i see is the bios is reading 20+C to low, Ultra D included. Actual die temps on the A64 are usually 45 to 50C idle, plug the CPU in an ultraD and you get 30C, plug it in expert and you see 20C or so.

Its probably because they are using the I/O to calculate the temps and are not direct reading it." - Tony

hmmm, if that's the case, how could a BIOS update adress that?

That may very well be true. But fortunately, I think it also may very well be irrelevant. All we really need is a consistant standard to refer to. On the older nF4 boards, the standard we judged safety by was 50C. Now as per the link you posted, this temperature might in actuality be closer to 70C. But if that were the case, we would see chips dying right and left (or is it left and right? I always forget.) Regardless of the actual value, thousands of users can attest to the number we read as 50C as being safe enough. More importanly, that reading was consistent across the various different nF4 boards. I know that if my Ultra-D reads 55C, I can back off my Vcore a bit and get it under 50C. Furthermore, it would be the same if I had a SLI-DR.

The problem with the Expert is quite a different, and much more real, beast. Firstly, the 38C load I read clearly has little to do with the 50C on the older boards. Same chip, different temperature. Thus, I can not use the old standard when I try to judge safety. This is not a terrible problem if a new standard can be established. Herein lies the second real problem. I get this same 38C load temp at 1.5v as I do at 1.59v. Thus, the reading can't be trusted to be an accurate measure of temperature (even if it is offset, as suggested in your link). Thus, I get a number that is both inconsistant and incomparable. That's a bad combo!

Ok, just got back from my Grandpa's funeral and found this in my inbox:

Dear Customer,

Thank you for taking time submit us the query. Since thermal sensor was direct-layout designate from CPU as our feature. The CPU stepping change would also affect the tolerance on presented value. We’d collecting the different stepping/model of CPUs for analysis, therefore we would like to loan or exchange your on-hand CPU as samples if you agree to be the one of volunteers by participate the analysis, please provide required information as listed below for confirmation:

1. A copy of your purchase invoice from your reseller.

2. The Serial Number of the motherboard

3. Your postal address and contact details.

4. The reseller you purchased the motherboard from (also the retailer's website address if available)

In case you located at our following territories you may contact our European and US branch, contact information may find within website ”Contact Us” section.

After the confirmation is established, you may send your original BIOS chip to our European branch within above address for replacement.

Best,

DFI Customer Service Center

So they want my cpu and my bios chip? Did I read that right? It also said i might be able to "exchange" my cpu? I am more than willing to help but it kind of sucks to have to tear my new rig apart :(

That may very well be true. But fortunately, I think it also may very well be irrelevant. All we really need is a consistant standard to refer to. On the older nF4 boards, the standard we judged safety by was 50C. Now as per the link you posted, this temperature might in actuality be closer to 70C. But if that were the case, we would see chips dying right and left (or is it left and right? I always forget.) Regardless of the actual value, thousands of users can attest to the number we read as 50C as being safe enough. More importanly, that reading was consistent across the various different nF4 boards. I know that if my Ultra-D reads 55C, I can back off my Vcore a bit and get it under 50C. Furthermore, it would be the same if I had a SLI-DR.

The problem with the Expert is quite a different, and much more real, beast. Firstly, the 38C load I read clearly has little to do with the 50C on the older boards. Same chip, different temperature. Thus, I can not use the old standard when I try to judge safety. This is not a terrible problem if a new standard can be established. Herein lies the second real problem. I get this same 38C load temp at 1.5v as I do at 1.59v. Thus, the reading can't be trusted to be an accurate measure of temperature (even if it is offset, as suggested in your link). Thus, I get a number that is both inconsistant and incomparable. That's a bad combo!

you're right. based on what we've seen here, the reported temps are all over the place, and NONE of them reflect any sort of consistent offset. And you're also correct about the voltage vs temperature issue. No matter how high I clock this thing, at whatever voltage, my temps hardly move...22/23C idle with 32/33load...

so now what?

you're right. based on what we've seen here, the reported temps are all over the place, and NONE of them reflect any sort of consistent offset. And you're also correct about the voltage vs temperature issue. No matter how high I clock this thing, at whatever voltage, my temps hardly move...22/23C idle with 32/33load...

so now what?

so if you go from stock to overclocked settings your temps are the same with same ambient....first time i ever hear about this to be honest

anyways in this link you can see the temps differences between stock and OCd settings on my dual core..........in summer months with 30C+ ambient i see load temps even up to 38C with 2.6GHz 1.44v Opti 165

http://www.i4memory.com/showthread.php?t=1660

so if you go from stock to overclocked settings your temps are the same with same ambient....first time i ever hear about this to be honest

I've got the same thing here with my non Expert...

Stock clocks and the clocks I'm running now 2.6 @1.4v don't make a huge difference temp wise.. especially when idling.. on full load it might differ 1-2C tops.

However once I go past these settings (260x10 and 1.4v) my temps go up both idle and load significantly...

NC™