DFI Expert CPU temp sensor reporting incorrectly?

yes you certainly confirm what everyone here is saying

opty+sonda.jpg

OT: I love your naked setup......the tape, corner foam, temp probe >>>> fantastic :nod:

i guess i'll be sending an email over to DFI but i'll need the serial number and a few other details

if someone's already sent an email and you have a FORMAT it would make it a hell of a lot easier for everyone INCLUDING dfi techs to read through........should we agree on a format to send this info to them and RGone thanks for joining in........i like you more than the other guy :P j/k can you tell us from your opinion what the techs over there would ideally like to see from us on that email as i know they'll be unhappy to read 400xemails with 400xdifferent ways of describing the problem

• Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

dinos22 man, some of you guys had the temps from a normal NF4 and moved directly to the "expert" and then had a new "X" temp and that would be good to know. Those are really before and afters. Those who have real 'temp' probe readings would do well to show bios vs temp probe since the 'bios' should/would be what I would use as a yardstick since 3rd party reading by software would be iffy or can be 'said' to be iffy.

In my mind the ones with the greatest effect will be the ones who moved directly from a known set of temps on regular to NF4 to an "expert" with the same cpu and cooling and the drop that is seen as proof that "one" or the "other" would seem to have been out of calibration.

Yes, just looked back at what else you said that you were gathering and that is serial number and send the revision as well. Short, short paragraphs are by far best. Ranting on is useless. Just the validatable facts. Don't say I sent you. Hehehehe. ;)

RGone...

yes you certainly confirm what everyone here is saying

OT: I love your naked setup......the tape, corner foam, temp probe >>>> fantastic :nod:

i guess i'll be sending an email over to DFI but i'll need the serial number and a few other details

if someone's already sent an email and you have a FORMAT it would make it a hell of a lot easier for everyone INCLUDING dfi techs to read through........should we agree on a format to send this info to them and RGone thanks for joining in........i like you more than the other guy :P j/k can you tell us from your opinion what the techs over there would ideally like to see from us on that email as i know they'll be unhappy to read 400xemails with 400xdifferent ways of describing the problem

dinos22 man, some of you guys had the temps from a normal NF4 and moved directly to the "expert" and then had a new "X" temp and that would be good to know. Those are really before and afters. Those who have real 'temp' probe readings would do well to show bios vs temp probe since the 'bios' should/would be what I would use as a yardstick since 3rd party reading by software would be iffy or can be 'said' to be iffy. .
unfortunately i went out with the old and in with the new so i won't have any direct comparisons and i agree with you.....

i'm on a lookout for a second (benching) rig for a SS phase and if i grab an UltraD that would help.....the thing is i've already done a fair bit to explain that it is not reading right so i know i my mind it does't work properly and i've backed it with facts [meh i just bought an Abit mobo :rolleyes: ]

one other problem with my setup (and fair bit of people here) is the fact I run an Opteron which is not supported by DFI so it's really up to non-Opteron runners to take initiative.

Why are DFI engineers not following this forum? I know Oscar drops in every now and then.

I too have the same problem but like Dinos22 has stated I use an upsupported cpu but in essense I would say about a 8-10c difference with this board to my DFI NF3 Ultra D which I just replaced. Shame really as othter than that I like the Expert but would be nice if someone from DFI could at least acknowledge the issue. I would be surprised if they could not scrounge up a Ultra D and expert and chuck the same chip in and see for themsevles really cant be that hardup for hardware. :P If they are I could donate a 3500 clawhammer

well i think mine is off by much more than 8-10... mbm5, smartguardian, AND BIOS are all reporting my idle temps as 19-21C, and load of 29-31C... so mine might be off by as much as 18-20C!?

see my sig for specs. I dont think there is any damn way mine is capping out at 40C@load on the air im pushing; that's IF it were only off by 8-10...

so now im paranoid and afraid to push it any further...DOH!

btw, I'm using the last beta bios from Tmod's CD (same as 12/7 official)

Why are DFI engineers not following this forum? I know Oscar drops in every now and then.

Busy? Not their bag? Who knows? I have not a clue. And I know for Oscar's sake we used to ask that the threads were kept on topic and just the plain facts because he gets lost when it wanders.

And you probably are correct about that opteron not fully supported thing. Come to think of it an opteron was what I ran to go 3,000 myself with low temps. Had to swap back to another rig for test and tore down the 'expert'.

I am holding off on installing an expert again and windows and every program until my new 'expert' gets here and I will put a plain jane Venice 3800+ on it just to see what it shows. I ran that processor for 5 months and know it pretty well.

RGone...

PS: dinos22; I will see if I can run Oscar down but I have not seen him around much in a couple of months. I expect the new boards are hammering them pretty good.

unfortunately i went out with the old and in with the new so i won't have any direct comparisons and i agree with you.....

i'm on a lookout for a second (benching) rig for a SS phase and if i grab an UltraD that would help.....the thing is i've already done a fair bit to explain that it is not reading right so i know i my mind it does't work properly and i've backed it with facts [meh i just bought an Abit mobo :rolleyes: ]

one other problem with my setup (and fair bit of people here) is the fact I run an Opteron which is not supported by DFI so it's really up to non-Opteron runners to take initiative.

I'm not sure that the issue is restricted to the Expert. I just received a a DFI nf4-Ultra (non-SLI, non Expert) and when running Prime95 @ 2610Mhz (9x290, 1.425Vcore) with my Opty 165, SmartGuardian reports a load temp of 37C -- which seems far too low for my cooling (SI-120 w/ 32CFM fan).

The monitor chip is an ITE 8712F-A -- I'm curious if all of the boards use this as well. I went to the ITE site to see if they had a more up-to-date version of Smart Guardian and it turns out they do. Problem is that it reports my CPU temp as 71C load/59 idle!! I know that's not correct either.

Hope we find a solution for this one...

Chum

bump for posterity's sake... mine is under-reporting by as much as 20C, so im a bit upset at this point. Does anyone thinks that this justifies an RMA? mine shows 19-21C at idle, in bios/ITE/MBM regardless of clock speed !

and i dont think so.... even with 110cfm fan, and another 92mm above that, i STILL dont think that it's even as low as 30C at idle... especially not OC'd 600mhz!

so ya, im bumping this until i get some answers... for "the ultimate overlocker's board", this is kinda unacceptable.

(dont get me wrong, i LOVE every other apsect of the board, and it has performed exceptionally well right out of the box... but I also think that it's ok to demand perfection from a $200 mobo, and this temperature problem is really bugging me!)

Geez! All this time I thought the Thermalright SI-120 and Silverstone FM121 fan was doing a good job, but it was because of the firmware reporting a lower number!?

Yikes! Scaring me because CPU is reported at 38*C idle, and 47*C under load! It looked right to me all this time! If all this is true (I have no reasons to doubt everyone here, afterall), then I was running my CPU up to 57*C and not know it!

Maybe this is why I was having issues? Then again, primed overnight without issues. Just the 3DMark05 issue I was having in another thread I started.

PS - took the board out to RMA, but while waiting, I set it back up just to test, ina dit seems to be running fine now. Must be the temps?