Sign in to follow this  
Nero.Jacinth

Asus vs. DFI (For stability)

I realize what forum I am posting this on, but I would still like to get some straight-forward answers. I am looking for a mobo that has the cpu at the top like the DFI Lanparty SLI-DR Expert or the Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe (case layout restrictions). I plan to overclock to maybe 2.6 at the most and I am looking for stability. Plus the DFI mobos are so incredibly ugly and the Asus is awesome looking. Honest opinions wanted; better to go with the DFI and have overclocking ability but deal with the ugliness, or go with the better looking Asus and loose some overclocking ability?

P.S. Is it possible to paint the slots a different color without messing with much?

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. As to your question, no one can answer that for you. You need to decide what is more important for you. As to stability, this board is about as stable as any out there. Just need to get the parts that works best with it.

Guest thespin

Well ! One BIG advantage of an 'ugly' DFI mobo is no muscle bound PSUs will be coming around when you are not home to hit on it ... and stability be damned if your mobo cheats on you ...

man your not gonna get far with that question....kinda board bashing ain't it?...;)

Think about what your saying....For stability...other boards will give you stability out of the box....with a DFI your going to earn it....

With these boards stability come at your experience..... it's up to you what you decide to choose....

for finding something more pleasing to your eye.... and less restrictive....google is your freind....

EDIT: If you look at your sig.... you answered your own questions...happy computing...;)

ugly pffft....ur just like shallow hal ;) ...its a beaut....anyways DFI boards have great stability if u got top of the line parts..and u can OC the Crap ouuta them....so many tweaks as well..not for beginners :D

Don't get me wrong, I am not bashing either board, I was just pointing out the things that I like and dislike about them. I would absolutely love to have the DFI, I just hate the colors yellow and orange (I am more of a red and black kind of guy). Purely just my opinion though. I am thinking I might get the DFI and then use some PCI slot covers. :)

Well, i have both boards you mention....

hate the DFI, love the asus. my DFI board is bunk. does not like the components that the asus loves(as does my gigabyte SLi-Ultra), anmd the helpful moderators here tried to tell me i'm at fault. I'd link the thread of you like.

I have 3 boards, 2 cpu's, 8gb's of ram, 2 psu's, 4 vidcards, and countless other parts...they work great with my asus board. the DFI does not like them. MInd you, the baord i got was bunk form the start with #4 and #5 fan header's supplying no power, and upon RMA(which took 10 weeks), i got the same board back. while the fan header's work, now the top graphics slot gives artifacts....no matter which card i install, as well as freezing in 3d that can be escaped by alt-tab, etc. take aquamark 30 minutes to complete a full run, and i sitll get a score higher than 85000....

MOdded teh chipset to SLI(is an ultra-d), and found that now the system would actually crash, and give me an error that i could actually troubleshoot. All errors are 3d-realted, point to vidcard hardware...however the cards work fine in the lower slot...so board is being RMA'ed again.

Bought the board new...and have not been able to use it since i got it in july. It's now november. meanwhile, the asus works fine, my vidacrds stay cooler because of the extra space, and i have no stability issues. the only thing that the asus is lacking is high voltages to cpu and ram, which is why i bought the DFI in the first place.

I realize what forum I am posting this on, but I would still like to get some straight-forward answers. I am looking for a mobo that has the cpu at the top like the DFI Lanparty SLI-DR Expert or the Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe (case layout restrictions). I plan to overclock to maybe 2.6 at the most and I am looking for stability. Plus the DFI mobos are so incredibly ugly and the Asus is awesome looking. Honest opinions wanted; better to go with the DFI and have overclocking ability but deal with the ugliness, or go with the better looking Asus and loose some overclocking ability?

P.S. Is it possible to paint the slots a different color without messing with much?

Go Asus if you hate the DFI NF4 so much you want to paint it :rolleyes:

Sounds like you sold yourself already, if your going to modest, low overclocks go Asus.

If you want "eat lighting and sh!t thunder" performance go DFI !

if you do the research and get the right parts then DFI. if you dont want to worry about a picky board that is very selective with its parts then choose ASUS. the main reason i chose DFI over ASUS was A: the support recieved in this forum. and B:this is a precision board that takes finesse when choosing parts.....and ultamitly far more rewarding when every thing is "Just Right"

if you do the research and get the right parts then DFI. if you dont want to worry about a picky board that is very selective with its parts then choose ASUS. the main reason i chose DFI over ASUS was A: the support recieved in this forum. and B:this is a precision board that takes finesse when choosing parts.....and ultamitly far more rewarding when every thing is "Just Right"

I agree. You have to "pay to play" with these boards and do your research, not just a QVL either !

Sign in to follow this