OMG, Made a break through! (sorta)

Is that a 2Mbit BIOS chip on that mobo?

Nope it is a 4mb chip, Same as all the other AMD boards here.

SST49LF040(A) or SST49LF004B

Tmod

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well, thanks to our life saver, tmod, i have a backup now. i will begin to experment with the LPAB and infinity bioses to see what will happen. wont be til this weekend though because we have midterms all this week :(. i will report back and pry i dont screw up a hotflash :D.

median, you are right, if a system cant do what i want it to then i push til i break something or until i reach the goal, at which point i set my goals even higher, it a never ending cycle for me...

:UPDATE:

Flashed my bios to the lanparty A bios, everyhting worked out fine, bios is alot different, had to hunt down some things. why are memtimings in advanced chipset features BTW :eek:?

anyway i still saw no option for CPC and i couldnt boot windows (im using SATA drives) so i hotflashed with my backup. went into windows and tried to flash the NF7-S2 bios and got a "bios no support lock feature" from winflash... so that didnt work. im going to try the lanparty B and infinity bioses next...

:UPDATE NUMBER 2:

w00t!! the lanparty binfinity bioses both worked, flashed both from your CD without having to hotflash. lanparty b has LOADS of bios options :DROOLS_MASSAVLY:. the cmos reloaded function also seemed to work, saw the option for CPC, disabled it, saved rebooted and it posted! like i said, cant boot windows cause i run SATA...

tmod, think you can transplant the Lan Pparty B BPL into the U400S bios and make those memtimings avalible? also the DIMM voltages up to 3.3v seem to work as well (only 2.9 default), also chipset voltage to 1.9v works! going to flash back to the U400S bios so i can use my computer :D.

Wow!, awesome results dude, I'm glad someone finally testing that.

We can't add the bpl to the al400 though, Tmod has probably tried allready, and I've tried.

What I actually tried is to swap my bpl for the nvmm, it does'nt work at all.

I can get it past a led or 2 during bootup but that's about it.

As for the nvmm, it's structure is just to diffrent, there's tons of things that look the same, but they are diffrent and expanded apon, and in totally diffrent relative offset from the old nvdamc(bpl).

It's kinda like a lost cuase.

Shoot if we could, we would of allready, for the lpb, to get the newer nvmm's from the nf4's into our older nf2 bios.

Anyways thanks for the feedback on that one!

I know that my bios'es would work on a ultra al now :), and probably a lpa :D.

Btw, what is on that ultra al anyways?

Is it missing the realtek lan, or the sata(you said you had sata though but I'm asking anyways).

I know the lpa has some sort of ide raid theat the lpb does'nt have.

And that the inf has no realtek lan.

I myself disable both the sata and realtek lan by default in case somone wanted to hotflash...

Btw, I heard that hotflashing the lpa results in 3.1v and up not working, ie wih the lpb bios(Or was it 2.9 and up?).

It's was'nt supposed to work anyways.

Someone here on the forum once said the accidently flashed a lpb to a lpa once, that's where I got that from...

Edit:

You can boot windows from the lpb bios because you use sata?

The sata is diffrent on the ultra al then the lpb?

oh, i see about the BPL now. the U400S dosent have the same south bridge as the LPB at all, all it has is NV SATA, 10100 NV lan, 8x USB, no fire wire, dont have realtek lan, and on the raid, here is what the manual says for it:

Two IDE connectors support four UltraDMA 133Mbps hard drives

-NVIDIA RAID supports spanning across Serial ATA and Parallel ATA

-RAID 0, RAID 1, RAID 0+1 and JBOD

Serial ATA with RAID

-Two Serial ATA interfaces with speed up to 1.5Gbps

-NVIDIA RAID supports spanning across Serial ATA and Parallel ATA

-RAID 0, RAID 1, RAID 0+1 and JBOD

in the LP B bios i saw no option for NV SATA at all, as a matter of fact i went to the standard cmon settings and found no SATA section period, so i would asume SATA is different. i could boot CD roms just fine but not HDD's. since we cant modify the U400S bios with the new BPL, mabye the LPB bios can be heavly modified for use on the U400S, mabye my hopes are too high for this but its a very interesting idea that has had interesting results so far. as for voltages, ram V's maxed at 2.9v in the LP A bios, i had up to 3.3v in the LP B bios though, i only tried up to 3v because i didnt want to kill this new Gskill TCCD i got. i will assume when you use a multi meter to measure the voltages you measure at the top of the mosfets on the other side from the legs? thats where i measured from, all of the mosfets around the DIMM area read 3.3v execpt for one, it read 3.01v.

think angry could get the DFI lab tech bios maker people to make a bios with the CPC option visable so we can disable it, seeing the trouble we have with it and all? im doubting it but its worth a try i guess.

Holy smokes!!! It worked? :eek:

You got higher volt settings just by switching to lanparty bioses?

That just RULES, coz it means we're on to something. Great if some skilled people like tmod could help us out with a project to utilize the best in lanparty bios & at the same time don't miss any functionality from the different southbridge on the NF2 U400SG-AGF . You think that could be done?

How does a bios work tmod? Can one just pick the "libaries" from a bios one wants to use without affecting the other parts like the southbridge features?

If this works, it also tells us that there must be some connection between the boards as far as voltmod goes... at least i would think so since "something" must be similar since the bios settings result in higher volts. Maybe it would simply be possible to raise the voltages with an easy grip in the original bios too?

Also tells us that DFI has done a crappy butt job with the bios. I mean - if all these great features are available and it isn't being utilized - the higher vmem i peticular - i would strongly suggest DFI get their butts up & running, and help us out with making a OC bios. Hell - even a BIOS that supports CPC so I could have the DC i paid for, would be a step in the right direction. At least if they want to keep me as a customer in the future.

This is the only NF2 board for sale these days, so there's no reason to thread it like the nf2 OC-stepchild to push users over to infinity boards - coz it's not for sale any longer. After all it's a newest socket a board, so it would believe it's benefiting from trial and error with earlier socket a cards, making it potentially a very good board.

Will sign up for bios testing when i get my bios saviour a few days into 2006. Finally something is happening to this board! :cool:

I will be changing the SATA biois on the LP "B" board to that of the U400AS.

Probably later this evening as I am pretty tied up for the day.

Charlie22911 I will send a PM with a link to it after it is done.

The U400S-AL and the LP "B" take a different raid bios so we can at least try changing that out and see what we get.

Tmod

all righty tmod, booting and testing in windows is all that matters at this point. im tied up with school ATM anyways so no rush :).

skeptic, glad to see you are interested in testing some bioses! when you get the savor mabye you can flash to test the LP A, LP B and infinity bioses. mabye you can do some tests if you use IDE. as for bios moding, i dont know exactly what is involved, but i can tell you that entrys begin at certain areas in the code, its not like a bios has a bunch of archived files into one bios file so you cant just swap out something, you realy have to decompile the code and extract the data you want to modify, make the changes then recompile it. at least that is what i gather so far.

Sounds good tmod. I really appreciate your time and effort to help. :)

Will the Voltage settings be easy to modify? If the settings in the lanparty bioses allow "charlie" to bump the voltage up to at least 3.3 mem and 1.9 chipset - it sounds to me like the same commands can be applied to the original NF2 U400SG-AGF BIOS. Voltage settings seems to me like the most important feature, besides CPC. Would it be possible to just implement these two features and leave everything else like it is? Or are there other benefits we can extract from the lanparty bios?

Maybe I am underestimating the degree of difficulty here. I don't know anything about how a BIOS gets modded.

Can you explain some basical principles in BIOS modding? What differentiates the lanparty reb b bios from the NF2 U400SG-AGF one? What makes it work on a different board when there are different components on the board? Sounds very strange to me unless the board is almost the same. How do you recognize the different parts of the bios? Is it almost like a libary where many parts, or bioses(one for network card, one for sata controller etc.), are put into one? Are there applications that "translate" the hex code into settings or what?

Would it maybe be better to go the other way around - importing the lanparty BIOS concents over to the NF2 U400SG-AGF BIOS part-by-part instead of the other way around? By doing this the implications/outcome seems easier to control, alteast i would think so. If one just patch the lanparty bios with a few bioses like sata it would maybe be stability risks involved since one never can predict how the board will respond to certain "episodes".

Seems like there's one guy who has gotten amazing results with a "7/9/03 Anandtech Performance Bios for Lanparty rev. A/A+ " with the board.

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showpost.p...701&postcount=5

thread:

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread...ht=NF2+Ultra-AL

just for the record...

UPDATE: another thread which user speaks of benefiting from lanparty rev a BIOs on the ultra-al card: http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread...ht=NF2+Ultra-AL

just wondering: are there any modified lp rev b BIOSes for lp rev a?

I'm a little confused here: Just to be clear about something:

I see alot of mixing between the U400-AL expressions and NF2 U400SG-AGF

Are we talking about a BIOS that will support NF2 U400SG-AGF here, or the version without soundstorm, firewire & stuff? (the version without this is the U400-AL i presume?)