Sign in to follow this  
Soujiroh

6800gs vs x800gto2

The 2 cards I'm debating between are the 6800gs or the x800gto2 (following the simple mod and flashing guide to unlock and whatnot). My price range is around $200-230 U.S. dollars flat. (Broke college student)

I have other questions: What's up with nvidia having a smart shader 3.0 while ati is still at smart shader 2.0? What are the differences between these shaders? Will 3.0 be utilized sometime in the future or is it just for looks to sway the competition towards nvidia? I don't know of any games that use the smart shader 3.0 but I've heard that when games start using it, ati will be behind and their cards will not perform as well.

Sorry about the long post, but I'm about to purchase a new video card and give my 6600gt to my bro. Thanks!

The 2 cards I'm debating between are the 6800gs or the x800gto2 (following the simple mod and flashing guide to unlock and whatnot). My price range is around $200-230 U.S. dollars flat. (Broke college student)

I have other questions: What's up with nvidia having a smart shader 3.0 while ati is still at smart shader 2.0? What are the differences between these shaders? Will 3.0 be utilized sometime in the future or is it just for looks to sway the competition towards nvidia? I don't know of any games that use the smart shader 3.0 but I've heard that when games start using it, ati will be behind and their cards will not perform as well.

Sorry about the long post, but I'm about to purchase a new video card and give my 6600gt to my bro. Thanks!

Hmm just bought a Sapphire ATI Radeon X800 GTO² as this is the only brand that has the bios unlocked so you can flash the bios to open the extra 4 pipelines, i now have the core running @ 520 and the Memory @ 540, these are X850XT spec but some have had them running @ the XT PE Speeds, as for the shader3.0 all this is really is software that improves the way detail is shown via the card as far as i undertstand it but to look @ it in the real world, its hard to spot any difference against my 7800 GT and it only scores 1000 3d mark 05 points less than the GT so i would go for the GTO² over the GS, but its is all so a good card for the money!

I would go 6800GS here are some benchies, too bad they didnt have a x850xt

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/dis...rce-6800gs.html

Glad I sold my 6800GT before they dropped this thing.

Its not certain you can unlock and overclock the GTO2 ($235 on newegg), I would rather get a sub $180 3dConnect GTO. Maybe save up for some more ram ?

According to this... http://www.techpowerup.com/articles/overclocking/vidcard/127 success rate is 100% ! I'd go with the GTO2 or Connect3D.

I was able to get 608/576 with 16 pipelines on my sapphire x800gto2, with good cooling, after that come the artifacts after a few minutes. It gets 6900 in 3dmark05, very nice card for the price. :)

According to this... http://www.techpowerup.com/articles/overclocking/vidcard/127 success rate is 100% ! I'd go with the GTO2 or Connect3D.

Seems there are alot of RMA GTO/GTO2 on newegg highly doubt its 100% And that article was writting on Sept 13, alot of different GTO's have popped up

I remember when the GTO2 were $200! I would still go 3dConnect GTO > GTO2

GL and keep us posted

I would go 6800GS here are some benchies, too bad they didnt have a x850xt

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/dis...rce-6800gs.html

Glad I sold my 6800GT before they dropped this thing.

Its not certain you can unlock and overclock the GTO2 ($235 on newegg), I would rather get a sub $180 3dConnect GTO. Maybe save up for some more ram ?

Its the only one that is unlocked and it can be overclocked to X850 XT easy and some have them running @ X850 XT PE spec!, Connect 3D gto is also OC able but not extra pipelines!

for more info;

http://www.techpowerup.com/articles/overclocking/vidcard/127

I was able to get 608/576 with 16 pipelines on my sapphire x800gto2, with good cooling, after that come the artifacts after a few minutes. It gets 6900 in 3dmark05, very nice card for the price. :)

Nice, 520/540 was the best i could do and still got 6100 3d/05 score!

I think the Sapphire has had the best success rate w/o RMA. Then again, people may be RMA'ing them because they aren't getting the insane OCs that some of us have been blessed with. I got mine to 550/611 although 580/600 is my sweet spot.. it runs like a champ. I could not be happier with my purchase.. well, until I get a crossfire card then everything is out the window. :)

i just got my gto2 today, unlock was sooooo easy with the bootable cd

...i just g2 wait to get my watercoolin stuff to overclock....but i am quite impressed..my first ati card....id say go for it ;)

Guest FxXP

I'm getting my hands on the GTO2 on the 2nd of December. Seeing that X800 Pro VIVO's are kicking my butt in 3DMark, I think this card will work out better then having a stunted version of the 6800GT.

Sign in to follow this