A Different Problem With Rpcss

paulwayner

No, I don't have the worm. My problem is self-created. Running xp pro, I stupidly disabled RpcSs for login using the service manager tool. Now when I login it doesn't start up and so the machine is mostly crippled, no taskbar, restore won't run, etc. It will still boot. If I bring up the service manager tool again and try to reset the properties on RpcSs nothing happens, can't change the properties. So...is there another way to change the login info so that I can 'enable' RpcSs for login? Manually edit a file?

i went through the services guide on this site last night myself, freed up about 50-70 MB ram :D

hopefully you created a backup, like with the ASR wizard, then you could boot to CD-ROM with XP disc in drive and restore at least

if you get that far, you will probably want to totally re-install, at least I usually do, just doesn't run the same after using the ASR

if you didn't backup.........did you try booting in safe mode?

I tried booting is safe mode, but problem remains the same. No backup :(

There must be some file that has the info on what to enable and disable on login, if I could just edit that hopefully I would be okay.

[edit]

Found a fix, thought I'd share it with people.

This is what I did to fix the problem (the first part might not be needed)

Start regedit. If RpcSs is down you won

Edited by paulwayner