how can I tell if im bieng hacked?

Grunt_Style

i use hardware firewall, but since he asked for software i give him what most to be considerd a pretty decent software firewall. i dont know sygate, i will have to look into it next chance i get.

Oh, bummer! You're right. I knew I was tired, but when I'm looking my reply again after having at least some sleep, I realize I should avoid that reply button when I'm tired... :tooth:

There are many software firewalls out there - Some of them are POS, some are (at some degree) usable... and few are actually good for software solution. In my experience, Sygate Personal Firewall Pro is one of the best Windows solutions for personal usage. I'd say it's one of the top three, at least.

Allthought I'm not keen to Linux solutions, I would like to find some time to set up small spare computer and try Smoothwall, that's http://www.smoothwall.org/

(For some reason correct way to link is not working here for me - PopUpCop?)

Trouble is... there's only 24 hours per day and that's way too little time to share between my activities. :D

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As long as the *retaliation* is kept within the borders of the law (respectable, legal, verbal warning, etc) then whatever action you take would be acceptable.

Once your method of retaliation steps over the line, you have only yourself to blame and your actions to account for.

But let us not derail the topic at hand or put the subject on a other than legal matter. Instead, let's find a solution which provides for protection of your interests with the added benefit of your privacy. As long as your privacy does not exceed the letter of the law, of course. ;)

So, in your case you *possibly* believe that because of certain recent incidents, you might have been invaded by a unwanted intruder. Where do you go from here?

Given that you are not familiar with certain aspects of IP spoofing / ghosting, we need to focus on the details you have provided: certain DOS applications do not run anymore. With that partial information, have you checked (re-checked) the following:

1. Memtest stability.

2. Prime95 stability.

3. Performed a virus scan.

4. Performed a scan to see if spyware / adware has infected your computer?

Let me know what your results are. :D

Where can i look to learn about this kind of stuff and what software i need. If he really is doing it then i wanna retaliate for sure.

i have none of the above. except for the zone alarm. prime95 should be easy to find. but im in the middle of the mountian pass going to northern utah. so stepping into best buy and getting the latest spyware/anti viral isnt something thats viable.

At any rate im giving this machine to my neice anyways so ill just wipe it clean and fresh install a new OS for her....cant risk poluting her mind with adult stuff hidden somewhere in a place i forgot i put it.

she wont have internet anyways so there should be nothing to worry about. my new machine will be ready next week when i order the video card and ram. when it comes to that ill be sure i have the latest and greatest software on hand to install. i intend on keeping it in pristine condition. so all the programs u mentioned will be installed. before anything else.

I don't know if this was mentioned earlier but are you running a router? If so it most likely has a biult in firewall (that is all I use). For antivirus I couldn't recommend anything but Eset NOD32 it updates about 2-3 times everyday and hasn't missed one virus since '98. It also has seperate scanners for microsoft documents and outlook.

Good Luck

Will

not from my side. im using a mobil internet card to access the net. basicly anywhere i get a cellphone signal i get internet. my card is plugged directly into the computer via a pcimci -> PCI adapter.

there fore theres no place fore me to connect using a router. however it is possible that the carrior has one at thier transmition statins......but i wouldnt know unless i ask them. and with the amount of . i have that gets through( the popup spyware i installed found over 700 spyprograms on my system.) i seriously doubt they have any kind of protection.

however everyones sugestions are proving to be a big help. my connection to the neet seems "Cleaner" and for sure all the programs ive added are really doing thier part.

If you're going mobile with a cell carrier there's virtually no way you're getting the same IP address every time you login.

When Katrina hit down here we put a lot of people on the Verizon wireless internet cards and they were getting a different IP every time they connected much like an old dialup modem.

He would have needed access to your rig to install an application that reported back to him every time you connected.

You might want to look into the Verizon wireless internet system. 3 year contract gets unlimited online time for about $90.00 a month. They have PC-Card and USB versions.

Next time you make a run on I-10 through Mississippi, drop a PM.

not from my side. im using a mobil internet card to access the net. basicly anywhere i get a cellphone signal i get internet. my card is plugged directly into the computer via a pcimci -> PCI adapter.

there fore theres no place fore me to connect using a router. however it is possible that the carrior has one at thier transmition statins......but i wouldnt know unless i ask them. and with the amount of . i have that gets through( the popup spyware i installed found over 700 spyprograms on my system.) i seriously doubt they have any kind of protection.

however everyones sugestions are proving to be a big help. my connection to the neet seems "Cleaner" and for sure all the programs ive added are really doing thier part.

• 5 months later...

Here is a great Firewall also, called F-Secure,, you even get Phone service Banks use it..

www.F-secure.com or you can send me a tell I can probley get it cheaper for you if you have 1 - 5 computers or even higher number.. The VP of the bank and I went in together and bought 10 lic. seeing how I have 5 computers in my home and he has the same.. so we got it for a great price.. then we just split up the licence..

I am presuming that you are behind a hardware router/firewall...

A good way to tell is to watch the connections to your computer. You can see the IP address of any computer connected to yours. After a while you will begin to see which ones are normal and which ones are not.

Another good way is to lock out all your unused ports, and then enable your firewall to log all access to the locked ports. If you get access attempts in your log that are in rapid succession or logical order it is safe to say that someone (or some program) is attempting to access those ports.

A hardware firewall is always better than a software firewall. Personally I run both.