how can I tell if im bieng hacked?

Grunt_Style

Im suspecting my neices friends older brother of playing around with my system for crap and giggles. Using an IP trace from a website we mutually access, I could be totaly wrong and since im nerdy enough yet to do things like intrusion/counter intrusion i have no way of knowing. but honestly id like to lean about hacking and stuff. 2 can play at this little game and i want to make sure im not bieng paranoid, and that i accually have an intruder. Where can i look to learn about this kind of stuff and what software i need. If he really is doing it then i wanna retaliate for sure.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you should have a firewall installed like zonealarm.

Erm... do you really mean snake oil like False Alarm or real firewall? :confused:

In case of needing software firewall, Sygate products will IMHO beat False Alarm any day. And then again, perhaps someone likes those "application X tries to send mail to..." alerts. :angel:

Nothing too serious here. We're just having different opinions, eh? :)

Grunt_Style,

So... you want to "play" a little hacking game with your friend? Just be careful and stay out of troubles! If someone is trying to do something bad to you, just remember: Two wrongs don't make right.

OT:

I've started to hit reply buttons again, so perhaps I need a bit sleep? :tooth:

just installed it. it seems like an ok program. might get the pro version.

I've got ZoneAlarm Pro, and don't worry, save your money, the basic version is just peachy keen. The only thing Pro does for you is headaches.

Check your user accounts to make sure nothing strange has showed up, he might have gotten physical access to your machine, change all your machine passwords and disable all accounts that you don't need.

Erm... do you really mean snake oil like False Alarm or real firewall? :confused:

In case of needing software firewall, Sygate products will IMHO beat False Alarm any day. And then again, perhaps someone likes those "application X tries to send mail to..." alerts. :angel:

Nothing too serious here. We're just having different opinions, eh? :)

Grunt_Style,

So... you want to "play" a little hacking game with your friend? Just be careful and stay out of troubles! If someone is trying to do something bad to you, just remember: Two wrongs don't make right.

OT:

I've started to hit reply buttons again, so perhaps I need a bit sleep? :tooth:

i use hardware firewall, but since he asked for software i give him what most to be considerd a pretty decent software firewall. i dont know sygate, i will have to look into it next chance i get.

Grunt_Style,

ya thats true they dont. and this is something that could spiral out of hand.....but im a vendictive type of SOB. only other option is to go over there and pound a confession out of him. and obviously thats not a good idea since more than likely this is all my imagination.

but my problems did start the same day as our little exchange. and i rember my neice telling me he was a super computer geek.....

Im suspecting my neices friends older brother of playing around with my system for crap and giggles. Using an IP trace from a website we mutually access, I could be totaly wrong and since im nerdy enough yet to do things like intrusion/counter intrusion i have no way of knowing. but honestly id like to lean about hacking and stuff. 2 can play at this little game and i want to make sure im not bieng paranoid, and that i accually have an intruder. Where can i look to learn about this kind of stuff and what software i need. If he really is doing it then i wanna retaliate for sure.

How are you reaching your suspisions?

Has anything odd been happening on your PC?

Remember that a lot of traffic could be from old infected PC's trying to put a worm on your PC (Port 139), and you also get a lot of netbios traffic thats pretty much harmless.

Unless something specific is happening and your firewall is going berzerk then I think you have nothing to worry about.

but honestly id like to lean about hacking and stuff. 2 can play at this little game and i want to make sure im not bieng paranoid, and that i accually have an intruder. Where can i look to learn about this kind of stuff and what software i need. If he really is doing it then i wanna retaliate for sure.

This is a 'no no' for DFI-Street.. !

If you want help finding out who or what is hacking you.. or need to know how to protect yourself then you can repost a new thread.. But asking where to find programs and info on how to hack someones computer is not allowed..

nothing illeagle that i want posted hear. i just want to basicly catch the individual in the act and be able to prove it. how do i set my self up for this?

al IP adress look the same to me. i got zone alarm wich lets me know when outside IP's are attempting to gain access. but 99% are legit. how can i tell if its an individual person/ if its thier home adress.