7800 GT only running at 8X PCI-E Speed!

I have just purchased a NF4 SLI Infinity MB and a EVGA 7800 GT CO video card. I have installed video card into the first PCI-E x16 slot; however, when I check the card settings in the nvidia control panel it says the bus is PCI-E 8X. Anyone know who to get it to run at 16X? I have installed the lastest bios for both the motherboard and the video card as well at the latest drivers. I am using Win XP Pro SP2. Any ideas anyone?

Thanks!

I haven't set anything in the bios for SLI. under the Pnp/PCI Config screen in the BIOS I have set Init Display first as PCIEx, the other option is PCI Slot, and Max payload size is set to 4096. I know that if I was running SLI, then the video card would be running at PCIE 8X, but since I have a single card it should be running at 16X.

I have a similar problem. My eVGA 7800GT runs at 8x speed in either slot(1 or 4) when set to SLI and only the 1x slot (4) when set for non-SLI.

This card does the same thing on an eVGA board. It does not work in the x16 slot but works in the 8x slots.

I'd be interested to hear if ANYONES machine reports a 16x bus. 7800 and X1800 series cards (ANd all others that I know of) are only 8x.

Kinda like putting an old 4x AGP card in an 8x slot. Its an 8X slot, but only runs at 4x because the card is a 4x.

It doesnt matter anyways, your card will run at full speed at 8x.

Could you or anyone else elaborate of this further? Are you saying that the 7800GTs only run at 8x anyway? Are there any video cards, or other devices that fully use the 16x slots?

Could you or anyone else elaborate of this further? Are you saying that the 7800GTs only run at 8x anyway? Are there any video cards, or other devices that fully use the 16x slots?

Thats how I understand it.....

Previous generation cards (X850/6800Ultra) Didnt even use all of the 8x AGP Bus.... I find it incredibly unlikely that these new cards come anywhere close to 8x PCi-e