Sign in to follow this  
andrewchamp1232

chipset fan

Guest shaolin95

Ive been wondering the same for a long time but due to my 6800gt and nv silencer cooling the space is VERY limited. Right now I cant even remove my mobo cause one screw wont come out. Thus my only option is a very thing 40mm fan or so. I am getting a Sunon 40x40x6mm with around 6cfm. I will place it on top of the stock HS. Since I have a tornado of airflow in my case I guess this small fan will help if only a little or at least it will look cool :-)

I replaced the stock heatsink on my NF3 with the NB fan from another mobo. Dropped temps about 5 degees but made no difference in my OC or stability.

I replaced the stock heatsink on my NF3 with the NB fan from another mobo. Dropped temps about 5 degees but made no difference in my OC or stability.

Do I need any kind of thermal pads or just clean the core and put some thermal paste on it and attach the fan? never pulled a heatsink off of a northbridge before.

I currently have this cooler on my 5500 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16835110103 which is not any better than stock one. Will it be better than the stock passive heatsink on my chipset?

I currently have the same ICEBREQ chipset cooler in my board and I think its better than the original passive heatsink. Also fits nicely under my 6800GT. It comes with its own push pins, so you dont need to remove the board in order to install it, just cut off the old plastic pins.

http://www.1coolpc.com/iceberq.htm

Guest shaolin95

So you removed the stock one WITHOUT removing the mobo? Please tell me more cause if I can do it that way then I will for sure.

Regards

Guest FZ1

You really should take out the mobo. You can cut the pins off the old one (not easy in the case) but you might crack the chipset trying to put the other one on. Believe me, taking shortcuts usually ends up costing you. Do it right. ;)

Guest shaolin95

Cant do it cause a stupid screw is stock to the mobo and no amount of force will take it out.