CAUTION: Idiot Onboard

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spend some quality time with the build guide...

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6615

Isopropyl Alcohol above 90% can be hard to find. 90% works fine for me. Just stay away from the 50% stuff since it's half water and that's never a good thing around electronic components.

I only use a magnetic screwdriver. Too much trouble trying to fish an errant screw out of the works.

Unfortunately Best Buy didn't have Arctic Silver so I just grabbed what they had (Dynex Silver Thermal Compound). They also didn't have any of the cleaning solvent so I'm hoping a little caution with a tissue will do the trick.

Ive been using a magnetized screw driver on computer builds for years never a problem as my fingers are no longer surgeon like digits they were, after twenty five years as a Master Plumber. Mind you I dont go rubbing every little component with it. Its just all them there little tiny screws plus couple that with my 51 year old eyeballs you can have my magnetic screw driver when you pry it from my cold dead hands LOL! Oh and you are not an idiot everyone starts somewhere plus you were smart enough to come the the smartest guys on the net for help, dont sound like idiot behaviour to me. Congrats on your first foray into pooter building!!!!!!!

Any drug store worth visiting will have 90% Isopropyl Alcohol. That's all you really need.

Unfortunately Best Buy didn't have Arctic Silver so I just grabbed what they had (Dynex Silver Thermal Compound). They also didn't have any of the cleaning solvent so I'm hoping a little caution with a tissue will do the trick.

There is no way in hell you're going to damage a HDD or corrupt data by the gaussing effect of a magnetic screwdriver. Even if you remove the cover.

It takes very powerful magnets to affect a HDD. You're far more likely to damage a HDD by mishandling it (and if you remove the cover to expose the platters you can expect they'll almost definitely be damaged)

You might damage the data on a floppy if you're really careless like leave the screwdriver on the floppy for several hours.

i don,t think you should use tissue to clean your heat sink as it will leave lint on your heat sink which will reduce the effectiveness of the TIM.

what you should use are COFFEE FILTERS as no likes lint in their coffee.

they are cheap and readily available.

:)

i once opened my old hard drive and wrote some code with a magnetic screwdriver.

when i plugged it in i was astounded, i had actually rewrote the explorer 6 code which closed all the gaping security holes making it immpossible to hack.

go figure. ;)

i don,t think you should use tissue to clean your heat sink as it will leave lint on your heat sink which will reduce the effectiveness of the TIM.

what you should use are COFFEE FILTERS as no likes lint in their coffee.

they are cheap and readily available.

:)

i once opened my old hard drive and wrote some code with a magnetic screwdriver.

when i plugged it in i was astounded, i had actually rewrote the explorer 6 code which closed all the gaping security holes making it immpossible to hack.

go figure. ;)

You have watched a few Monty Python movies, I take it?

wicey