Sign in to follow this  
m c

CAUTION: Idiot Onboard

Yea. I'm an idiot, I'd just like to make that perfectly clear before we get started here.

Anyhow, I attempted to piece together the machine in my sig last night. This was my first ever attempt at building my own rig. Things went surprisingly very smoothly. I ran into a slight hiccup when I became unsure after installing the processor and heatsink that AMD had pre-applied any kind of thermal compound, so I took the heatsink off and found that sure enough, they had, only now I have to go out and find some more since I ruined what they had applied by taking it apart.[/idiot Part 1]

Here's where the real idiot steps into the lime light. I realized this morning after a brief online search of local retailers for thermal compound that several products I looked at made a point of noting that all tools are demagnetized. At this point, like a wrecking ball hitting me square in the face, I realized that it probably wasn't such a good thing that I used a magnetized screwdriver the fasten the motherboard to the standoffs.[/idiot Part 2]

Did I screw myself? Is the motherboard (and potential all the drives since I used the same screwdriver to fasten them to their rails) toast?

dont worry so much,

by rights you should wear a anti static wrist strap (very cheap)at all times when handling the components.

but all i do i ensure i touch a case which is plugged in (which means it is earthed) before picking up anything.

i would stop using the magnetic tools from now on but i don't you have fried anything.

i have heard of people with watercooling having leaks and just shutting down letting it dry off and it still works.

so don't bother worrying about anything with your rig untill it blows up, smokes or jumps out a window.

most of the time you will be worrying about nothing.

read all the guides they are very helpful, if you do not understand them reread them as you would have to be very clever to get it all in one read.

it's no biggie bro. you probably don't want to use a magnetic screwdriver (obviously) but i have caught myself doing that by mistake,, and never had a problem. i wouldn't sweat it. 1000 to 1 it did something to the board. also, as for thermal compound, artic silver or ceramique is best, but if you just need something today to get your board up and runninng... and if you arent an extreme overclocker.. just buy some thermal paste at compusa or something. (ideally, you should order artic silver or something from newegg) but liek i said, if you need something today, just buy some decent stuff at compusa or something. Look for a branded product in their mod section. they may carry some quality stuff, but then again maybe not. anyways, if you aren't gonna overclock right away don't sweat it. just make sure it's applied properly and the heatsink makes contact and is on the right way.

also, good luck with your project. if it doesn't boot at first, just remember double, triple check everything. it's usually something simple like forgetting to hookup the cpu fan to the mb. lol. i do that all the time. first reaction is.... crap.. i got a dead board. lol

Thank you very much guys. I think Best Buy has Arctic Silver. At least they have it online. I'm hoping they have it in the local store. Unfortunately, no CompUSAs around.

Thanks again.

yeah, there you go. i think i've seen artic silver at best buy. have fun building your board. don't hesitate to post here, seems like lots of cool people willing to help.

Guest Spartacus

No problem.

I've worked on computers professionally for years and I PREFER a magnetic screwdriver. Very handy for picking up dropped screws.

The field from a magnetic screwdriver is not enough to harm hard drives. If you put it right up against a FLOPPY disk it might corrupt it, but even then I think you'd have to really try. Even in the old days before CDs replaced floppies, I frequently caught myself setting down my screwdriver right next to or on top of a floppy. Never had it corrupt a floppy though.

Now those secretaries that used to use big magnets to hold floppy disks to the side of the filing cabinet, that was not a good thing. :)

I use a magnetic screwdriver to secure motherboards, hard drives, everything.

Never a problem. :)

m c,

while your getting your Arctic Silver, best get som Isopropyl Alchohol (hugher Alchohol % the Better :) s/be >=95%) use this to clean away the vestage of the old compond - you ned this stuff if u ever need to reapply the Arctic Silver.

Like the other guys don't think you'll have done any harm.

I had a brainwave a long time ago(don't have many :drool: ) & use Bluetak - Put a small blob on the screwdriver point then pop the screw on the end. The Bluetak holds the screw in place no problem. Find it ideal when mounting mobo or drives in case

M.C.,

Wow! man are you hard on yourself or what!? :nod: I totally agree with Spartacus and the usage of magenetic screwdrivers for building MoBos. I have built over 300 Computers to date and NEVER fried anything with the mag. screwdrivers, having said that, it IS POSSIBLE to cause damage with them and I don't recommend their usage to others. There is a screw picker upper device with extendable / retractable claws to pick up screws in hard to reach places available if you don't like using magnetic tools. (Arnold shoved one up his nose to extract a ping pong ball in Total Recall)

I also doubt you did any damage to your new MoBo, If and when you overclock your system read and reread posts and "how to's" on this website, great people all willing to help out, wonderful moderators as well. Enjoy the process of building you computer, it's part of the fun!

Renron

Awesome guys. Thanks again. Huge help.

But definitely wipe clean the old paste before applying the new stuff?

or install a smoke alarm above your computer.
lol..

@ m c .. dont be so hard on yourself.. we all werent born with computer skills.. ;)