Flash recovery

Prostock62

Hi Guys i been waiting for a new bios chip as i dorked mine,stupid me with spare chips flashed to my NF3 bios.I was reading this, & it shows a way to possibly recover from a bad flash.Can someone please explane how to do what they are saying about putting the awardflash bin to auto exec,bat file.How do i do this?

A. If your floppy drive seeks on power up and then stops after a short period of time, you may have a chance to recover. The following information was obtained from Wim's Bios http://www.wimsbios.com/ FAQ's. Corrections on AWARD Bios by Terry McGuire.

Award: The boot-block BIOS will execute an AUTOEXEC.BAT file on a bootable diskette. Copy an Award flasher & the correct BIOS *.bin file on the floppy and execute it automatically by putting AWDFLASH *.bin /sn /py /cc /r in the AUTOEXEC.BAT file. The * would be the correct bios .bin file and there must be spaces between the slash marks. Put it in the floppy and turn on the computer when the floppy seeks it will load the correct bios and reboot by itself. When it finishes you have to remove the floppy and enter the cmos SETUP and modify the CMOS for your configuration.

I know how to put the awardflasher and the bios bin file on flopy just like you were going to flash but how to put the awdflash bin in the autoexec.bat file.How to do this?

AWDFLASH *.bin /sn /py /cc /r

Create a file named autoexec.bat and include the following line

awdflash ****.bin /sn /py /cc /r

Replace the asteriks with the name of the bios file name.

So you will end up with the the following on the disk

Command.com

IO.sys

Msdos.sys

Bios flash file

Autoexec.bat

Now stick that puppy in the floppy drive and boot er up.

With any luck it will work.

Tmod

Thanks TMod iam just a little confused,iam not good with this please bare with me.

Iam not sure what you mean by ,

Create a file named autoexec.bat and include the following line

awdflash ****.bin /sn /py /cc /r

sorry i dont understand,how to create the file,

awdflash N4D623-3.bin /sn /py /cc /r like this? If so what next?

What bios do you want to use for the recovery?

I will make a file for you and then you can take a look at it.

Tmod

Just unzip and execute this file, It will create a bootable floppy with all the files you need.

Then boot system using created floppy.

Click OK when the dialog box pops up.

Download link

Tmod

TMod i clicked on the file and it made the flopy all by itself like you said,now just throw it in and ill be off.My grandmother just called have to take her to pick up car,will try soon as i get back.Hope it works.

TMod Thank You for your time helping me out.Will contact you with the results.

Thank You.

Prostock.

Update

TMod no luck.The flopy came out fine with all the files,it self extracts everything for you and makes the disk.When i boot the computer the flopy light comes on and thats it,nothing.No command or any prompt just the light for the flopy and it stays lite.

I ordered the chip from the web site you gave me yesterday.The chip was shipped today and said 3 to 5 days.Mailed priority,my experience using priority comming from new york to ri should take 2 days so maybe sat.

TMod thanks again for your effort and time spent on my problem.The chip must realy be dorked.I can not see the problem being with the file you sent,it do everything for you and you just slap it in and boot but nothing.Ill just have to wait.Luckey i have my 2nd computer.I hope these guys flash chips ok?

Thanks Again Tmod.

Prostock.

Normally if the bios is able to be recovered you will see a Bootblock message and it will tell you to insert a floppy with the files on it.

If you don't get the bootblock message chances are you won't be able to recover it with a floppy.

Tmod

That's the way I always flash. I simply copy the .bin file to the floppy then edit the Autoexec.bat file to reflect the new .bin.

Then you are the perfect candidate for my CD.

I already did all the editing for you.

Tmod