Some help please?

Allright I'll try to sum it up here.

1.)Boot system and go into BIOS by pressing delete. Go under the "Genie" Bios setting. Scroll all the way down till the end. You'll see a listing called "sil3114 s-ata control" set this to "sata raid". Save and exit BIOS.

2.)Boot system off windows CD. When it says press F6 at the bottem of the screen. Press F5 and F6, one after the other. The first window that comes up scroll to the top and look for a setting called "advanced configuration and power interface(acpi) PC" press enter(this can only help things on these boards). When it asks for the hard drive, press enter to look at the floppy drive(where you should have the latest sataraid driver). Make sure you have the drivers for windowsXP/2000 selected not the NT/windows server drivers selected. Let it install the drivers then continue.

3.)Don't let windows do an auto reinstall or anything. I think you press exit to just skip this part. Then you have to press F8 to accept the disclaimer. Then partionion the drive to whatever you like. Do a full NTFS format on the partion that windows is going on.

After that everything "should" work fine. Key word there :D

{TCC}puTTs

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TCC thank you very much!

I still have a question though:

Under Genie BIOS The function BIOS FLASH PROTECT must be enabled or disabled?

I will try that and I will write you tomorrow.

I have just a single monitor so I must switch the machines all the time... :D

Man, thank you for your kindness and your receptivity!

If you came in Toronto just tell me. :nod:

Guest thespin

Please pardon my ignorance. It was my impression that manufacturers worked with Microsoft way ahead of time to get their drivers into Windows install. What I find strange, if alpinum is correct, is that DFI's own BIOS does not recognize the attached drive ... can you enlighten me on this one ?

Please pardon my ignorance. It was my impression that manufacturers worked with Microsoft way ahead of time to get their drivers into Windows install. What I find strange, if alpinum is correct, is that DFI's own BIOS does not recognize the attached drive ... can you enlighten me on this one ?

NO problem. The Silicon Image 3114 SATA controller that is built onboard is not "part" of the actual chipset, like the nVidia NVraid which I "think" is on your NF4 board. The computer uses it the same way a PCI addon card would be used, exept DFI was nice enough to just hard mount it right to the board. Since it is an addon the system BIOS does not find it, it is started after the BIOS post screen along with sound cards, ethernet cards and anything else you put into the pci slots.

Microsoft only builds the most common drivers into there OS. Like if you had a standard IDE HD it would detect and install drivers fine. Since AMD and Intel system have used basicly the same IDE controller for the past 10 years. There are no(that I know of) SATA/SCSI controllers that windows will find and install drivers on it's own. Yes, some drivers are "Microsoft certified to work" but most are not. Usually like with video cards a new driver comes out every month, if not sooner, Microsoft could never keep up and test and build each driver into there OS. Would you really want them to? Isn't Windows all ready bloated enough? :D

{TCC}puTTs

Hello TCC!

Nice to see you -online :D - again!

I tried what you told me last night but nothing.

When I pushed F5 and quick after that F6 i have the image which is in photo 1.

If I push them togheter is the same thing. Whatever I try, when I push F5 I have that image. And I don't know what should I do.

I have chosen to go with the "other" option and everything was the same.

In the BIOS everything was set how you said: SataRaid

I was never able to see that "advanced configuration and power interface (ACPI) PC"

I installed in the OS the new driver from Silicon (that one which you sugested me) and everything was the same. I installed all the drivers ( Nvidia, Realtek, MFI video card software, etc).

When I install the video card software I have the same text:

"The software you are installing for this hardware:

MSI Controler

has not passed Windows Logo testing to verify its compatibility

with Windows XP.

Continuing your instalation of this software may impair

or destabilize the correct operation of your system

either immediately or in the future. Microsoft strongly

recommends that you stop this installation now and contact

the hardware vendor for software that has passed

Windows Logo testing.

Do you want to continue installing the software for this hardware?"

I have chosen continue.

The computer works, like before, everything is ok if I go in Device manager everything looks ok.

The weird thing is that if I go in My computer, Device manager, Sata driver properties - it shows me that I have 11/2/2004 version 1.0.0.8 Sil driver (what I just download). If I put the old diskette (the original one) and I choose "upgrade driver" he goes to that one and shows me that I have 08/2/2003

version 1.0.0.1

Why this guy "upgraded" to an old version?

I still have the same screen when I install the OS. (DFI.PIC - the third photo)

I do not know what should I do to do everything properly.

Maybe this is normal and this is the right thing to do.

Maybe it should be like that because the computer is working but is kinda slow.

Maybe this is the way and after that I can go with the overclocking thing..

I will put two more photos to see what my computers shows on POST mode.

When you press F5 and F6 you get that screen in your first pic. Press the up arrow on your keyboard to scroll up the list till you get to the "advanced configuration and power interface (ACPI". Press enter on that.

When your under the device manager and click the upgrade button. It doesn't always mean to "upgrade" a driver, you could down-grade to an older driver by doing this. Like when you told it to go to the driver on your old disk.

What exactly is "slow" on the computer? Loading games? Graphics? or just not very snappy at the desktop?

{TCC}puTTs

TCC,

If I have that F5 window I can choose just Standard PC with C-step i 486 or OTHER.

I tried both . Nothing happend. The same thing.

Slow means, if I restart the computer and I want to go to My Computer for example and Choose properties nothing happend. After1-2 minutes the window finally appear.

Even my old PIII is fast than this one. It needs so much time for that?

If I wait those 2 min everything is quick after that. It's normal?

But you did not told me:

It is ok to have those windows on the screen when I install the OS or not?

"The software you are installing for this hardware:

MSI Controler

has not passed Windows Logo testing to verify its compatibility

with Windows XP.

Continuing your instalation of this software may impair

or destabilize the correct operation of your system

either immediately or in the future. Microsoft strongly

recommends that you stop this installation now and contact

the hardware vendor for software that has passed

Windows Logo testing.

Do you want to continue installing the software for this hardware?"

What is your opinion?

Thank you!

The messages that come are fine, don't worry about them at all. When you press F5 and get that box with "Standard PC with C-step i 486 or OTHER" you can press the up and down arrows on your keyboard to view other options not in view...same as scolling up and down on this webpage.

Does is say your processor is running at 800mhz on the post screen?

{TCC}puTTs