Sign in to follow this  
Sorrento

Chipset heatsink replacement (Vantec IceberQ 4)

I found one of these in a local store, I already knew it wasn't compatible with the nForce2 chipset holes (distance between holes is larger in the nf2 chipset than in video cards), but its performance with a 9700 Pro I had was very nice... so I got a new one and tried again on the DFI.

The first thing I noticed is how the holes in the nForce4 SLI chipset mobo aren't the same as with the nForce2 Ultra 400 mobo... the nF4 distance between holes is almost identical to a video card such as a 9700 Pro. However there is a very small diference, with the holes in the IceberQ 4 having a greater separation by almost 2 mm. I used a drill to cut the holes on the IceberQ 4 a little in direction to the center of the heatsink so it fitted perfectly.

pb0900037me.jpg

Then I found out there are two obstructions in the motherboard that needed to take care of. The first (shown in the picture) was avoided by cutting the heatsink a little. The second one was fixed by fixing the first one... so the heatsink perfectly fits afterwards.

pb090003a3sr.jpg

Then there was the issue of the top purple plastic cover which is nearly in contact with the video cards. I took it off and I noticed the fins of the heatsink were bent on top to form a cover for the air to move... so nothing was really lost with out the plastic cover. Now the separation between heatsink and video card on top is nearly identical to the original DFI's heatsink.

pb0900071jp.jpg

You can also see I am using screws with springs to hold down the heatsink... which is quite complicated to install but a lot safer than the plastic push pins.

I am still not finished because I am still needing a metal plate to mount the radiator... but once I have it I will post the temperature results of this experiment. I expect 4º C lower temperatures, at least, since copper works diferently than aluminum... so from 54º C the chipset had when playing Quake 4, I believe temperature will be 50 if not lower. If its the same, at least the heatsink looks pretty ;)

Has anyone noticed how cooler the chipset temperature is with ATI video cards than with Nvidia gpu video cards?

I have seen reports here on this forum claiming around 40º C nf4 chipset tempratures with ATI cards, and sometimes 48º C with nVidia cards of similar performance. SLI just make it worse, and in my case the temperature of the chipset reached 55º C with extremely good ventilation, 64º C with normal one.

Just wondering if anyone seen this diference in temperatures too.

Guest ::VoiD

very nice!

Is this quieter than the stock fan?

I want to replace mine but I'm not good with a drill.

Yes it is... somehow the stock fan has a tendency to make a lot of noise while on use in the motherboard, cause once it is outside it is very quiet.

The Vantec IceberQ 4 is more quiet, but more importantly it is more eficient; I think this is just because it is made of copper, because the stock fan can push more air. Another thing I noticed is how the IceberQ 4 has longer fins, while the stock DFI has shorter fins, which added to the material they are made of results in less performance.

This might be the only mistake of the nForce 4 SLI motherboards: the heatsink wasn't designed with SLI in mind, but with a single video card. The only ones I have seen with a more crazy aproach than a simple heatsink were Abit and Asus with heatpipes, and only in a couple of models... and GOD only knows how good this works. The power usage of a 490/1300 mhz 7800GTX, or the new 512 mb one, is a lot higher than two 6800 Ultras which is a lot of heat, and it is in front of the chipset. To be honest DFI's heatsink is superior to any of the competition's non-heatpipe designs... I wonder how hot the others are :(

"The only ones I have seen with a more crazy aproach than a simple heatsink were Abit and Asus with heatpipes, and only in a couple of models... and GOD only knows how good this works"

Looks some pretty though.

Yeah, I read reviews on the two brands and aparently these heatpipes do the job well... interesting, I wonder how expensive would be for an already expensive mobo to have this type of cooling in the chipset.

just finiseh modding my ICEBERQ 4 PRO

put it on my g/f ati base card for now, but i will put it on my dfi mobo later on this summer when the semester will be finish

but its larger then the stock dfi got BLUE LED w00t and run 5k rpm instead of 7k, push more air and its all copper

... and copper requires less air speed to do the job, so even with less rpm the heatsink will show an improvement over the stock DFI one :)

Hmm I was wondering... Wouldn't it be possible to attach an Arctic Cooling VGA Silencer (without the fan and fanhousing ofcourse)? One of these:

base640.jpg

It fits the 9800 and 9700-series.

Would be nice to run it passive. I wonder if the weight would be a problem. Ofcourse you would use screws. And you would have to use SATA cables with 90 degree connector... Maby bad idea ;)

Hmm I was wondering... Wouldn't it be possible to attach an Arctic Cooling VGA Silencer (without the fan and fanhousing ofcourse)

Hehehhehe, that's one ambitious project mate....let me know how it works for you...

you have to be supercarefull with that thing...it will crush your chipset for sure if you dont get that thing alined and balanced.

Anyway...if you get that thing working...ill be waiting for pics. :P

I'm going to take my comp apart anyway, so I'm going to check if it fits :)

Anyway, it has to be modded to fit or it won't clear my X800GTO.