Sign in to follow this  
prodigyru

Any Success with Opteron 165 ?

Look, 300x6 isn't the same as 300x9. The HTT is the same but that's all. Since 300x9 puts more strain on the CPU than 300x6, the memory controller which is also on the CPU, will suffer. Fine, set your pc to run 200x6 and run sandra and everest to see your bandwidth speeds, now run it at 200x9 and check bandwidth speeds. Huge difference right? Hmm, but you ram is still only running at 200mhz. Memory bandwidth depends on CPU speed. The faster the CPU the faster the memory. The faster the memory the faster the mem controller works.

So, what do you suggest fellow Fortron owner?

It seems to me that some people have problems when following the OC guide. Seems that when you find the max for CPU and ram separately and then try to run them together, it doesn't work. Not sure what to do here. Your problem might be the fact you're only using single channel or ram, it's possible. What I found with my chips is that that if I jump from stock straight to let's say 300x9, it won't work. So I just gradually get to 300x9 with 10mhz increments. What I did is I set my vcore to 1.58v to find the max. After I found the max I began lowering the vcore til I was stable with the lowest volts and a CPU speed I was happy with.

Set your vcore to 1.4vx113%, set your ram timings a bit looser than stock, I'm not sure what your ram is rated at. Start off at 230mhz, run memtest, test 8 for 2 cycles, quit go into windows and run prime for 10 minutes. Reboot, raise mhz by 10 and repeat. Set your max async to 9 and read preamble to 6.5.

This is nothing new but it's never failed me or my 4 a64 chips.

opteron 170 are better than 165 in overclocking capabilities ?

i believe that they are about the same because i've seen opteron 165 has same stepping, makes make, those CEBBE code family revision code same as my opteron 170.

so what i think is, if your motherboard prevent u from running high HTT speed. you better can a opty 170

if m/b and mem is not an issue. you can get a cheap 165 and oc at hell higher HTT speed. :nod:

although of course, oc is a draw of luck, but looks like people usually have better luck going for an opteron. :shake: