Any Success with Opteron 165 ?

prodigyru

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, so I've started overclocking the memory (see sig for details) and It passes the memtest86 for 8 hours @ 270 HTT (DDR 540). Anything more than that and it'll fail.

Windows boots fine at DDR 540 and CPU at 1620 Mhz (6X multiplier) but if I raise the multiplier back to 9X, Windows won't finish booting. This does not make sense to me at all. I know the cpu can handle that. I've primed it for 8 hours. I'm going to up the CPU voltage back to 1.5 V and see if that's the problem (I have it at Auto right now)

It's obvious it's the memory. Memtest doesn't test for windows stability.

But with the memory at 270 Mhz , windows boots just fine! When I KEEP that same setting for the memory and i up the CPU multiplier back to 9.0X, THEN it won't boot. See? Why should the memory care about the frequency of the CPU? Especially if the CPU has proven stable at HIGHER frequencies than that already. Do you see now why I am puzzled? (And frustrated, angry, angst-ridden and horny)

Gahhh!

The overclocking guide doesn't mention that! This is going to be annoying...

EDIT:

Wait a second! I think my LDT might be set up at 1X . Could that be the cause? I'm gonna go check right now!

EDIT 2:

Nah, I set it to 3.0X and the problem remains. It wasn't the LDT.

By the way, if anyone knows what voltage/timings are good for my RAM, let me know. I've searched and searched and found nothing. I can't possibly be the only one with G.Skill gb DDR500 can I?

But with the memory at 270 Mhz , windows boots just fine! When I KEEP that same setting for the memory and i up the CPU multiplier back to 9.0X, THEN it won't boot. See? Why should the memory care about the frequency of the CPU? Especially if the CPU has proven stable at HIGHER frequencies than that already. Do you see now why I am puzzled? (And frustrated, angry, angst-ridden and horny)

Look, 300x6 isn't the same as 300x9. The HTT is the same but that's all. Since 300x9 puts more strain on the CPU than 300x6, the memory controller which is also on the CPU, will suffer. Fine, set your pc to run 200x6 and run sandra and everest to see your bandwidth speeds, now run it at 200x9 and check bandwidth speeds. Huge difference right? Hmm, but you ram is still only running at 200mhz. Memory bandwidth depends on CPU speed. The faster the CPU the faster the memory. The faster the memory the faster the mem controller works.