Sign in to follow this  
Peaceout

Can we remove A BAD SECTOR in the drive.??

please help, is anyone knows how to remove a bad sector in my HDD.

my OS suddenly crashes (reboots) and scandisk found error on

my File allocation table (FAT). i try repartition, and reformating.. and after

bad sector occupy's my drive..

help.. bad sectors can be remove.???

im sorry friend coz im a filipino, not very good in english..

scandisk test it and mark it as BAD..

Dont worry my english is bad too. Select the drive go to properties then tools then check for errors and select fix errors and scan for and fix bad sectors. Some times it works sometimes it doesnt. It might take forever though so let it work overnight if you have a lot of files. Off line scan is also helpfull.

You might also try NTFS is gets fewer errors and maks sure you keep your drive cool.

There are some tools here as well as on the maxtor site if tht does not work.

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22031

i already try maxblast and powermax and they do not remove the bad sector mark

by the scandisk.

is there any other tools or utilities you know can i use to remove that bad sector in my drive..

thankx.

go to start, then run, type cmd. when cmd/dos opens, type in chkdsk /R - im not sure what it does yet, it isnt documented here, but it fixed a clients windows update problem, which the error given pointed to disk problems.

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documen...-us/chkdsk.mspx

/r : Locates bad sectors and recovers readable information. The disk must be locked.

let me know if it works or if it was a one time thing, WoL-Shiver

ive already returned the drive for the 3rd time, rma.

same problem, i dont know how..?? and y??

replace it with the same model. coz 7 days replacement is allowed only when you buy pc components and hardware here in the philippines. and strickly 6 months warranty only.

my 1st hdd with the same specs, still thesame. crashes after a sucessfull shutdown. errors, chkdsk. chkdsk. and after bad sectros comes..

second hdd with diferent firmware version but same model. same problem.

and today @ 2pm here php. i returned the drive, for replacement and i gonna get it this saturday.. coz out of stock!..

thankx.

Go to http://www.grc.com and checkout Spinrite.

I've used this tool since the early 80's and can say without a doubt that it is the finest drive test/recovery tool available.

Anyone that has a drive with data that they want to keep should have a copy of Spinrite.

Every new drive I purchase gets a thorough test with Spinrite before it ever gets installed in a rig. Each month I run Spinrite on all my drives to verify proper operation.

Spinrite will not work on RAID arrays since it must have direct control of the drive so you have to break the array, format, then test each drive separately.

Make very sure that the drive stays cool if you have already had to do a RMA. A low level format has done the trick for me too, but if you have some kind of underlying problem such as too much heat or memory error etc it will just come back.