3700 San Diego hits wall at 2.65....please help

Psitech

For some strange reason my 3700 San Diego (cabbage) hits a brick wall around 2.65ghz. The odd thing is that I have to push the volts to get it anywhere past that. I can boot at 2.75 (250x11) but almost have to volt it up to 1.7 just to be barely stable in windows (can't run superpi at 2.75 though and system tends to hang). Everything runs like a dream at 2.65 (265x10).

I know a lot of people are pushing up and over 3ghz depending on their cooling and I just can't figure out what is holding me back. My cooling isn't an issue as I average around 30c idle and 43c load. I've tried lowering the ldt down to 3 and that didn't help. I've also played around with the ldt and chipset voltage and that makes no difference.

I read someplace that sata ports can sometime cause a problem because 1&2 are unlocked and that using 3 or 4 helps. I've tried all 4 ports and still get the same results.

The memory seems not to be an issue because 265x10 works great, but 250x11 sucks. I've even tried the memory on a divider and this also didn't help. It just seems that something, and I have no idea what it could be, causes me to have to push the volts to the processor in order to ramp it up and it just won't break 2.7 stable.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

I'm sure that I've left out some info that you guys need. Please ask away and I'll provide any info I can.

I just don't want to think that I got "lucky" and got a 1/1000 lemon cpu.

I don't know where you see a 3700+ SD over 3.0Ghz w/o WC. I see most reach around 2.7 or 2.8 (<-- where I'm at right now). You're not guaranteed to hit that though. Each CPU is different, and need different settings or just can't get that high period. Just keep messing w/ settings.

BTW, have you tried 300x9? What are you shooting for?

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm aware that 3ghz is very rare on air and that almost all that go past that are on water. I hadn't tried 300x9. I'm gonna try that right now and will let ya know how that works in a few minutes. Any idea as to why I have been having to push so much voltage to it though?

Have a look at the OC Guide

It might answer a few of your questions. I wouldn't recommend going to much higher than stock voltages on the CPU as it will decrease the lifespan drastically.

Just stay w/in the limits, and just accept what you're able to get. If you can only get up to 2.5 or 2.6 then that's it.

300x9 = 2.7 was a no go.

I used a couple dividers for my memory:

9/10 = 270 (pushing it for my redlines)

5/6 = 250

It booted to 2.7ghz with no problem at all, but I got bsod's when running super pi.

I also set the ldt at 3 for this test.

voltage = 1.65

Anybody else have any ideas?

are you sure its the CPU? try mem divider of 100, see if that is stable

I guess the problem isn't the memory.

I put the memory at a 1/2 divider putting the memory at 150.

I still got a bsod with 300x9 = 2.7

The voltage was set to 1.65 volts.

LDT = 3

When you run that 1/2 divider, you are not running at the 300Mhz. You are running at the 150 you stated. Therefore it would be 150x9 = 1350 = 1.35Ghz

Am I doing that correctly?

You need to try like 9/10 or something, so its running just under full speed.

Check out this link here

That should clear up your divider confusion.

When you run that 1/2 divider, you are not running at the 300Mhz. You are running at the 150 you stated. Therefore it would be 150x9 = 1350 = 1.35Ghz

Am I doing that correctly?

You need to try like 9/10 or something, so its running just under full speed.

Check out this link here

That should clear up your divider confusion.

Are you sure about that? MBM5 reported the cpu speed at 2700 with the 1/2 divider. The memory was running at 150, but the htt/fsb was at 300.

You might have to accept the fact that you dont have a high o/c'ing chip which you can only RMA it and get another one and try your luck again.

My sandy for instance hit 2.4 on stock volts. I bumped it up to 2.6 on stock volts, ran superpi fine and prime95 but sometimes would hang in windows so i bumped up to 1.4v and everything has been running flawless. Will be attempting 2.75 soon. I'm letting 2.6 run for a good week with lots of stress testing to make sure if i can even go higher.

It seems like it might go above 2.7 if I pumped more voltage to it. I'm a little afraid of taking it over 1.65volts. Does anybody know what the max voltage these things can handle? I know a lot of it has to do with cooling and that's not an issue for me as i'm cool at 1.65. I'm just wondering if 24/7 over 1.7volts is ok and what the ceiling is.

shoe3k... do you have a typo in your sig? It shows 'X2' 3700+ SD ... X2's only come 3800+ and up.

Just lettin ya know.

Psitech... I wouldn't recommend going over 1.6v

I'm running at 1.525v and never had to go over. You're drastically decreasing its life if you bump it up that high.