Sign in to follow this  
Hepath

Aggh! Stable machine blows up in games!

Ok

After fighting my machine for nearly two months I finally found settings that deluded me into thinking my machine was stable! By stable i mean the following:

1. 4 hours memtest with no errors (that's the windows version)

2. 21 hours Prime95 stable

3. OCCT stability test passed

I'm now running 704-2BTA bios and running the memory in the Yellow slots after trying a gadzillion combinations in yellow with 6-23 bios - some of which showed the same symptons. I am running this BIOS on advice from AndyOCZ and the thread posted at bleedinedge here

Temps:

CPU <= 49C

GFX <= 49

System <= 56

Effectively I now have my age old problem of running a directx game (DawnOfWar:WinterAssault) and it crashing anywhere from a few minutes to a hour of playing. Sometimes I used to get a BSOD (stop 0x50) but now the screen just goes blank and then either the machine will reset itself; or I have to.

I really can no longer believe the memory is at fault. The only slightly interesting thing is that OCCT showed 11.91V on the 12V rail... but I've seen that in other posts so I guess this seems to be within tolerance. Watching the system (case?) temperature go up was amazing - I had the case open on its side and the temp was averaging ~50 C I put it on and it rocketed to ~56 (all during Prime95). Could that cause my problems - the lower half of the case where the GFX sits is (sems) quite cool as the NV5 moves quite a bit of air.

One person did reply to a previous thread saying they too had problems with PC4800 and geting into games with a stable system and found that it was down to voltages. I believe they had a AMDx2 chip but on a whim I upped my voltages to that shown yet the problem persists.

I am now suffering an almost regretting buying this kit - not because of the problems, but I coming to realise that the effort required to get this beast working is *huge* and I dont have the time to dedicate to it.

Current timings are here:

Enabled

Enabled

Auto

Weak 4

L2

Normal

Disabled

x16

x7

Disabled

Auto

16/16

Auto

Disabled

1.55V

1.35V

Vid * 110%

1.40V

1.70V

2.7V

Enabled

I've also tried

2.5-3-3-8

2.5-4-4-8

but these caused either BSOD (stop code 0x050) or just a straight "boot-reset-boot" loop

and....?

I have done this often and they seem to work fine. Thats 3Dmark and Aquamark. Will try tonight on these settings though.

Hi,

I know exactly what you mean about frustration with this MoBo.

I (think) have a stable machine, meaning I can run benchmarks and memtest without error, but I still get "random" BSODs!

After battling with voltages and Genie settings for months, and with no real indication from anywhere, even Windows Event viewer as to the problem, I checked the device manager and went through checking for IRQ's and I/O conflicts.

I didnt actually have any major conflicts as I disabled all unused devices including the onboard serial port. one minor(?) I/O conflict remains under PCI system management. However whilst searching for my problem this was a suggestion from another member who had conflicts with x-Fi sound card.

What REALLY helped me however was the disabling in BIOS of the nVidia network adapter and uninstalling the software for it. I now use the Marvel controller (with only a router firewall :( )

However, I was still getting minor reboots from within BF2 only (benching was fine) so I changed some of the timings and voltages to looser settings (or auto) and I was playing BF2 all day yesterday!! woohoo! at last!

Also, (and v.importantly!) I noticed in your sig that you are using PC4800 (2.5-4-4-10) but your thread settings say 2-2-2-8 - which would be tight for your memory..

But i think you've made a mistake somewhere as most memory the last number is third in the DFI genie settings i.e. yours should be 2.5-4-10-4 within bios.

Also, you seem to be running the HTT and memory at 200Mhz, I have problems with mine when I run at 200mhz which is rated at 275Mhz, yours is 300mhz and I cannot get that high with my current settings.

Try changing your memory timings as above

Try disabling any devices not used (InfraRed, Serial Port)

Disable your nVidia LAN and use the marvell one

Increase the HTT/memory to 275Mhz, lower your mutliplier.

Good luck !

you can try these..

[SIZE=2]

Enabled

3  or 4

3120 or 4708

Enabled

Auto

Weak 4

L2

Auto

Normal or fast

Auto

Disabled

x4

x4

Disabled

Auto

16/16

Auto

Disabled

1.55V

1.35V

Vid * 110%

1.40V

1.70V

2.7V

Enabled[/SIZE]

Lets see here.....

1. 4 hours memtest with no errors (that's the windows version)

2. 21 hours Prime95 stable

3. OCCT stability test passed

These are all CPU and Memory intensives tests.

Your Complaining about Crashes in 3d Applications (Read: Games)

Why has no one questioned the Video Card and/Or Drivers?????

Have you tried an alternate Video Card? SInce your cards been Modded perhaps something is wrong with IT and not your motherboard? Just a crazy though I had.....

Impaqt.. Your 100% right.. I just suggested some looser timings because Ive had my rig pass all stability tests for 10+ hours, but yet it would crash BF2.. Loosening some timings helped clear it up for me..

Where does it show his card is modded though ?

I don't recall ever getting a BSOD from buggy video drivers, just the game crashing or not responding. Try the new drivers released this week from nVidia though.

If anything I think it's the video card itself, do you have any other games that this has happened on?

Wow thanks for the replies.

Last night (before I managed to get back to this thread) I managed to

1. Update the mobo drivers to the new nvidia drivers. Did not install the firewall, but did install the IDE drivers. (Anyone noticed that the extracted directory version is version 8xx not 6?)

2. Reset the bios memory to run at 300 at x7 multi (I forgot to bring in the timings! Ack will post them later!

3. Reran: Aquamark, 3DMark, all passed again...

4. Played the game; crashed!

As a last resort I Disabled everything I could explicitly: Lan, OnBoard Audio (! - yes that module is on; I've never taken it off since originally installing it) I need to run more tests tonight if I get time. So I'm halfway there to FrobinRobin's suggestions. I just need more time to get some decent *pure* installs.

With regard to memory timings; I have gone through 3 bios versions and none will run at 2.5-4-4-10 (yes that's 2.5-4-10-4 in Bios) at auto and defaut settings. Also suggestions from AndyOCZ have tended to be non starters (non-boot and BSOD so tended to tinker with the timings. I'll recheck what I posted - 6:00am and late for work is not a time for writing down from a screen!

To address the video card issues: I too can't help but believe its down to this *area* too; Its failed in another game (Kohan II) but I had previously been runnign World Of Warcraft with no problems whatsoever. Hoever, people (much more intelligent in these matters than me) have pointed to the fact that the temperature of the GFX card has is not high and that it could well be a device driver problem/conflict (which is why I disabled everything ast night). I really am gonna cry if its the GFX card! I suppose I could by another one; but *ouch* especially if the problem doesn't go! - Anyone suggets a cheap card to try?

I would think about another BFG and if they are OK SLI them; but I am not convinced that the PSU is gonna give the oomph required for that.!

I will *certainly* take up some of these ideas and post results....

Thanks again; last night was real pain; no internet till too late so missed all this: another 8 hours at work before trying again!

*I must be crazy* I could have bought a PC and returned it under warranty! :D

Have you had any luck?

Do you have any spare video cards you could try that might be in your previous computer?

And if you haven't modded the video card, call up BFG and tell them it's not working right :) But make sure of this first.

Is it stable without anything overclocked or have you been doing stock settings?

I can't help you much but I'll try :D Hopefully others might have ideas too.

I'm guessing it's a heat problem. With your temps being pretty high anyway and a chance that the sensors are reading them lower than they are, I can see heat being the issue.