Sign in to follow this  
jodhas

Won't boot when SATA device is connected

I have nf4-SLI.

with the following setup

3000+ Winchester

xp90 with Panaflow

1Gig of OCZ 600 Platinum Elite in Dual (orange slot)

OCZ Powerstream 520

XFX 6600 GT

WD Raptor 74

WD 250GB

NEC 16x

Now...

When the computer boots, it just stays at the initial 'LanParty' Screen and won't proceed any further with my power led on and hdd led on.

Now, I take all the SATA out and re-boot and the computer will boot all the way.

Now, I thought my drive was faulty so I connected a couple of other SATA drives (maxtor, WD) and I get the same problem.

I tried all the SATA slots, and even tried flashing the bios to the original one and the latest one but to no avail.

Is my mobo just out of it? Do I need to RMA it?

Can some one help?

BTW... DFI website is VERY sluggish, and doesn't load at times...

Not only today but many times in the past as well...

Anyhow... I wish someone can address my problems mentioned above.

Thanks.

Which group of sata ports are u using - I know you said sata1 but want to check wether your using the nvidia or Sil3114 ports. Is it the ports 2 the left of the bios chip or the group between the chipset & floppy connector.

Go into the BIOS & disable the DFI Logo splash screen, and you can see exactly where in the POST it is hanging, also.

And after it hangs, if you reset it, will it then boot, or does it stay hung at POST?

Getting the samething after I installed another EIDE 120 gig drive. The sata drive isn't even the boot drive. I'll try to plug it into another slot in hopes that fixes it. Thanks for the tip.

It hangs at Detetcing IDE.....

Also, sometimes it goes PAST the Boot Bios Screen but DOESNT RECOGNIZE ANY SATA DRIVES!

What's up???

What drivers are installed under " device driver" is it the microsoft or did you install the Nvidia. Some people are having problems with the Nvidia if have the Nvidia uninstall and reboot to use the microsoft drivers and see if that helps. :)

What drivers are installed under " device driver" is it the microsoft or did you install the Nvidia. Some people are having problems with the Nvidia if have the Nvidia uninstall and reboot to use the microsoft drivers and see if that helps. :)

The problem arises even before we start going in to the Windows boot screen.

Why am I getting these problems?

I've exhausted all different combinations of SATA connection methods but to no avail.

There are DFI employees in here, right?

I've also tried using different BIOS to no avail.

I'd hate to RMA this board but just use it with the problem fixed...

Ok I am trying to understand this issue you are having. Is this a new build? All you have is the 2 sata harddrive? Do you have an OS installed on one of the drives? When it hangs at post, how many diag. leds stay on? Do you have all 4 power connections to motherboard plugged in? Have you tested with another PSU?

Ok I am trying to understand this issue you are having. Is this a new build? All you have is the 2 sata harddrive? Do you have an OS installed on one of the drives? When it hangs at post, how many diag. leds stay on? Do you have all 4 power connections to motherboard plugged in? Have you tested with another PSU?

Thank you for your reply.

This is NOT a new build.

I've had the system for about 5 months.

Basically,

on SATA 3 slot I have the Raptor 74

on SATA 4 slot I have the WD250

I had windows installed and have been enjoying it until 4 days ago.

I turned the comp and and it would just hang at bios.

I pressed 'TAB' to see what was going on and it would just get 'stuck' at the BIOS screen trying to detect the IDE devices. It will not get past that.

I've tried using my Raptor 36, and Maxtors to no avail.

It jsut simply will not go past the initial BIOS POST screen.

Sometimes I would flash the BIOS (the complete way, by taking out the battery, etc...) and it would go PAST the BIOS screen but without detecting the ANY SATA drives. On the next boot, the problem begins again where it will NOT go past the INITIAL BIOS SCREEN.

I have 4 red DIAG LED on when I reboot and the system hangs at the BIOS Screen.

I have the OCZ POWERSTREAM 520 which has been really steady.

I've tried the Antec Purepower and it does the same thing.

I've tried using different RAM as well. (well, it's Mushkin PC2700 Basic) but it does the same thing.

Instead of going DUAL channel, I've trided just sticking 1 stick in slot 1 but that does not make any difference.

I'm beginning to think something terrible has happened to my mobo......