Sign in to follow this  
robo989

My 4800+ stuck at 2.4ghz - was running at 2.96Ghz!!!!

Hello I deleted the old post I made since it was very long and I was rambling :angel:

Here's the problem...

1. 3 days ago I had the computer setup as in my signature except its been at 270mhz FSB (running fine for a few weeks).

2. I was doing a few intensive things at the same time as I always have with this system when suddenly....

* The display started going on and off - every 5 seconds it would go off then on, until it just froze when it was on.

* Pressed reset - there was gray grabled bits of text as if the memory on the graphics card had gone.

* Pressed reset a couple more times and it dissapeared but windows would not boot, came up with a BSOD with a "STOP" error.

3. I have tested the RAM and the Graphics card - and it is neither of those that is causing the problem. It happens wth an old pci graphics card and some other ram I got.

I'm currently running at stock and the computer does actually work (the ram is at 2.5-3-3-8 which is slower than stock at 200x12).

If I put the voltage back up to where it was or even up a little bit, windows will either refuse to boot, or boot very slowly with strange pauses. When it has booted and I try and run Prim95 the screen will just go blank after 5 mins or so)

THE COMPUTER HAS NEVER EXHIBITED THIS BEHAVIOUR BEFORE - IF PRIME95 WOULD MESS UP, IT WOULD COME UP WITH A MESSAGE AND THATS IT - THE SCREEN WOULD NEVER GO BLANK.

Sorry for the caps, just trying to give some insight into how its different...

What on earth could be causing this to happen, it came totally out the blue...

Thanks in advance, Rob :)

Guest nomad

Yikes... That sucks.

If I had to guess what is going on your CPU has seen the end of it oc days. I have read a few reports of some CPU's just giving up the ghost, but still running stock clocks. I dont know if that would be a product of electron migration but sounds like it to me.

Or maybe the memcontroller took a crap and will only run at low frequencies. Thats a tough beat though. It is strange as I am running substantially more Vcore and I have had smooth sailing (knock on wood).

Thats what I immediately thought when it happened - it sure has been doing alot of work...

But uhhh, not £700 worth of work :sweat:

I'm going to take the thing out tomorrow and try reseating it, but I know thats a long shot :(

If I can't get anything out of it then I guess I'm just going to have to sell it - since it will do stock settings.

Don't spose you or anyone else has any good ways of getting all the thermal paste off the chip to make it saleable bearing in mind that is plastered with thermal paste. I'm not sure how to approach the pins!!! :confused:

Thanks for you help, Rob :)

(Having said all that if anyone's got any ideas at all on anything I could try to get it sorted or suggest someting thats fixable please post!!!)

Guest nomad

As far as removing the thermal paste you use a Qtip and 99% isopropyl alcohol. Works like a charm:)

Alos you mentioned the pins in association with the thermal paste... you didnt get any on the pins and use it did you? Just checking...

ummm thanks, but whats a "Qtip" - a cotton bud?

It would be easy to get the paste off normally, but with a vapochill you cover all the pins as well, I need something that can get down the gap between then but is absorbant with a soft end?

In the same boat mate just had mine at 2700 even upto 2800 re ran my max cpu settings today and I cant even get to 2350.

not sure if my chip has buggered itself but mem controller seems strange can run 200 1,01 ok but I change it to 180 or 166 it will through about 600 errors in memtest.

This sounds really strange, perhaps it's something 'simple' like BIOS going corrupt - try to flash a fresh one on and do it properly with the CMOS clear and battery out.

Good luck.

Guest nomad
ummm thanks, but whats a "Qtip" - a cotton bud?

It would be easy to get the paste off normally, but with a vapochill you cover all the pins as well, I need something that can get down the gap between then but is absorbant with a soft end?

Ic, never used phase yet :) I stress the YET.

I would try a squirt gun and the isopropyl alchohol. Gently spray the TIM with it and it should remove that stuff inbetween the pins.

Things I've tried so far...

Format windowsreinstall

Flash BIOS with various different versions

Changed graphics card

Changed RAM

Funny thing is it has NEVER showed an error as a result of this thing breaking - in the place of any error I just get a blank screen accompanied by it resetting itself (doesn't always reset itself)

Thanks for the replies everyone :)

Anyway, assuming it is the processor, this thing cost £700 and I'm defo not getting another one like that if this sort of thing happens.

I hear the Opterons are meant to be gud at the mo, what dual core ones are available in 90nm?

Thanks (need a cheap one that can do a similar clock to 2.9ghz with a Vapo)

;)

Hi robo ;)

wow, this kinda sounds very similar to my problem of running my memory above 260MHz

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread...6457#post286457

as soon as i take it above 260, the monitor starts flicking on and off, no errors (it'll pass dual 32m super pi), just the display clicking

it's been really frustrating, i couldn't tell what was causing it

i'm now thinking of buying an opteron 175 for £350

the 165's, 170's, 175's, and 180's are all socket 939 dual core opterons