Can't Oc My 2600=?

Hey

I have very recently built my first system (specs below) and my biggest problems at first was too high CPU temps (58 with heavy tasks running) on stock HSF. I ran out and got a volcano 11- (copper core) and some ceramique paste and my temps dropped by almost 5 degrees right away. I knew that I could still get better than this, and also didn't really wanna start oc'ing until I got my temps down below 50 and stable. I then went out and got some SmartFans, took my computer apart and cut two holes on the top of the case to put the original cheap-o fans up to exhaust hot air, and use the Smart fans as intake and rear exhaust. VOILA!! my temps are now stable at 42, so I am comfortable now to start oc'ing my machine.

Now, here is where things start to confuse me. Just before I did all the fan mods, I was able to get the CPU set to 11.0x 200fsb (2.2 Ghz) no problem, only minor temp increase, stable running all kinds of tasks . NOW when I try to set it there, it won't boot into Windows, and to top it off, I cannot get back into to BIOS to lower the settings and try something else. I end up having to clear the CMOS and start all over. Any idea what may have cause this? I did notice when I took the volcano off to lap it that some of the ceramique was on the bridges(?) beside the die on the CPU, isn't this something that needs to be done to unlock the multiplier on this chip? Since I cleaned it off, did I now lose this capability? Should I just start with lower settings on my quest for more speed?

--------------------------------------------------

Asus A7N8X deluxe rev 1.1 (bios 1004)

AMD 2600+

ThermalTake Volcano 11- (lapped)

Ceramique by Artic Silver

ATI Radeon 9200 (128MB)

1 SmartFan (intake, rpm set to about 3000)

1 SmartFan (rear exhaust, running real low due to thermal probe in use)

Two cheapo fans ontop for exhaust not sure of rpm

that is weird how it worked and doesn't any more

not sure wat kind of ram u have cuz that makes a difference

if you have ddr 333 leave the fbs at 166 and make the multiplyer higher

if u have ddr 400 the 11.0 x 200 was good (make sure u have the jumper on the mobo set at 200 fbs, i have the same mobo)

and if u only have one stick of ram put it in the slot that is apart from the ones that are right next to each other

go into bios and make it: "halt on no errors"

try that

OK thanks, I will try that.

I have cheap 2700 ddr ram (512) and I have it in one of the slots normally used for dual channel (black slot?) I think I have the fsb jumper set to 166, I don't think there is a 200 sb setting, only 100, should I change it to that? I will double check the manual anyhow. Everything else is the same as before, except that I "prettied up" the inside of the case. My heat is pretty stable at 42 now with the mods I did, so I am ready to overclock the ###### :lol:

did u think of increasin the core voltage

i had a prob wi my 1800xp @ 333fsb(166ddr) @ x 6.5(13) multiplier.

but my core voltage was preset to 1.5v. now @ 1.65 and can push it to 2.4 gig..

but now run it @ 2100mhz easily @ 42/45 degrees on hard apps.

it helps havin a soltek flame board tho cuz that unlocks AMD's automaticaly. plus got a bit more security wi it havin ABS (anti-burn-shield)

good luck any way pal n welcome to the hard core world of OCing

core voltage is set to 1.65, video set to 66mhz , multiplier currently set to 12.5x 166 Mhz (2.08 Ghz)

I am pretty sure this board also unlocks the AMD multipliers automatically as well, when I go to that menu in the BIOS I have a whole plethora of choices, but I just can't get it to boot properly when I do try and overclock, when earlier I could.

Hopefully I will get it all figged out soon.

Cheers

I have an Enermax 365w PSU. I even have a few of the cables free. I have all my hardware that needs to be connected to it running on seperate groups of cables that come from the PSU (one for the HDDs and FDD, one for the CDRs and one for my three fans) I think I may have two more lines available for power, so I think my power should be sufficient.

BTW, I know for a fact that when I used the 11 x 200 setting previously, the jumper on the MB was at 166, odd then that it worked?

Appreciating all the help thus far

I haven't tried too much, honestly. The biggest pain in the . for the whole endeavour is that when I do try to change the multiplier and it doesn't work, when I reboot it won't let me back into the BIOS. I end up having to clear the CMOS and start over.

I will have to get some better RAM soon, I think I will get some Crucial, store up the road has some at a fair price. I just would like to see even a minor improvement in performance, I don't want to OC this thing to the moon, maybe just into the stratosphere!