Sign in to follow this  
F6Hawk

How to re-format GPT?

I have a 250Gb HDD that was formatted using GPT in Win64, and now that I have reverted to Win32, I cannot seem to format the HDD. I can see it in Computer Management Console, but no option there to format.

Any ideas?

Well, I already had issues with ftoolv1.99 from Hitachi, I burned both a floppy & a CD with their images, and the prog crashes every time I try to use it.

Perhaps I can use TMODs disk-write proggie, throw a bunch of zeros at it, then Windoze can format it again....

Thanks!

Try booting into Windows recovery console with your Windows CD and type fixmbr. If this doesn't work, you could try bootitng or something similar... I suspect some sort of Knoppix or other Linux or *BSD recovery disk should enable you to properly clear the disk.

BTW, you have deleted the partitions right? GPT is not a filesystem (like NTFS) and you don't really format a disk with GPT (at least by my definitions). It is a replacement for the tradiational MBR. To clear a GPT disk, the first thing you should do is to delete all partitions. Then see if you can do anythign to the disk like activate it or something. All this should be done in the Windows diskmanagement BTW.

Before you can format a new disk in windows, it requires you to initialize it. To do that, right click my computer (not MINE, the icon is called that!), click manage, activate the 'disk management' snap-in by clicking it. It should disply the drives available to you in the system. If you right click where it says "disk 0" or "disk 1" or whatever number applies to your new disk, you'll have various options available.

Hope that helps enough to get you started on the right path because once you have those options up, you're on your own 'cause I can't use PCAnywhere to your PC and help you like I do with my mom. :D

I got it sorted out.

You are right, it's not EXACLTY a format, but it is a file system, working like FAT or NTFS. The problem is, 32-bit OS can't use it. It can SEE it (using computer management, as suggested), but all optionsa are greyed out. No options to format nor delete partition.

As I mentioned, fToolv1.99 from Hitachi does not work. I made both a floppy & a CD with their images, and when it ran, as soon as I scanned my system for HDDs, it crashes. S now how can I enable SATA II?? Another issue to resolve.

But the way I resolved it is thru the BIOS. I went in and changed it from a single HDD in Genie to a RAID disk, then was able to hit F4 on reboot to manage it. Once in the RAID manager, I did a "low level format" (why do they call it that, when those can only be done at the factory?). I let it format about 4%, then rebooted, back into the BIOS, changed it back to a single HDD, rebooted, and then Disk Management was able to grab it and format it.

So all is well, and thnaks for the suggestions. GPT is THE way to go, IMHO, but one just has to make sure they are gonna stay 64-bit if they do so!

So once again.... any ideas on how to enable SATA II if fTool1.99 always crashes?

The program/utility from western digital can also write zero's to the disk.

Well, it may be so, cuz I did not try it, but TMOD's KillDisk could not. It said it was, but nothing happened. And when I rebooted, the disk was still the same. Oh well, maybe next time I will get to try it. I have learned that what works under x32 does not necessarily work under x64.

Guest Tmod
Well, it may be so, cuz I did not try it, but TMOD's KillDisk could not.

Did it recognize the disk?

It really isn't the fastest program when it comes to writing zeros.

With a 250Gb drive it is going to take a bit to write the zeros.

Tmod

Did it recognize the disk?

It really isn't the fastest program when it comes to writing zeros.

With a 250Gb drive it is going to take a bit to write the zeros.

Tmod

Yeah, that may have been it, I WAS a tad impatient. Cuz even when it worked using the SATA stuff in the BIOS, it prolly took 5 minutes to format 4% of the HDD.