Sign in to follow this  
Angry_Games

Skyhawk 570w 24-pin ATX power supply (updated Feb 2, 2006)

best thing to do is google or pricewatch for them...I bet they are still around somehwere ;)

and I imagine if you can only find them in USA, that one of us would gladly help ya out

Hey A_G i was wondering wheather it could work in malaysia.. i think here's is 240v or something....i remember vaguely that the psu i have, have a little switch... 110/240?

could it be on par with the ocz powerstream? im on a budget.... thats a dumb question...

SKY HAWK GM520SC 520W thats 68

SKY HAWK GM570PC 570W thats 62 dollars... wtf? did they mess the pricing up or are they promoting the 570w?

and i check the shipping.. ouch... 10 dollars?must be pretty far.... i check on it later...

what is PFC?

/me does the google dance

"google is your friend

right up to the end

if you don't use google then

some small animal will probably die!"

/end google song and dance

so can it work at other country?

What is Power Factor Correction (PFC)?

Power Factor Correction (PFC) allows power distribution to operate at its maximum efficiency. There are two types of PFC, Active PFC and Passive PFC. All of our power supplies are either Active PFC Power Supplies or Passive PFC Power Supplies.

Active PFC

The preferable type of PFC is Active Power Factor Correction (Active PFC) since it provides more efficient power frequency. Because Active PFC uses a circuit to correct power factor, Active PFC is able to generate a theoretical power factor of over 95%. Active Power Factor Correction also markedly diminishes total harmonics, automatically corrects for AC input voltage, and is capable of a full range of input voltage. Since Active PFC is the more complex method of Power Factor Correction, it is more expensive to produce an Active PFC power supply.

Passive PFC

The most common type of PFC is Passive Power Factor Correction (Passive PFC). Passive PFC uses a capacitive filter at the AC input to correct poor power factor. Passive PFC may be affected when environmental vibration occurs. Passive PFC requires that the AC input voltage be set manually. Passive PFC also does not use the full energy potential of the AC line.

Non-PFC

Non-PFC power supplies are no longer recommended. In Europe, power supplies are now required to have either active PFC or passive PFC.

here's a little clearing up about that too (wanted to make sure you understood what PFC was and did first)

in the USA, we probably have the best electrical grid of any country in the entire world. Our power supplies are extremely stable and usually always dead-on accurate in terms of fluctuation.

Other countries...are not so lucky. Britain for example, can fluctuate from 200v to up to 240v...this can wreak havoc on electrical components, especially ones that are taking in voltage and then converting it and putting it back out, like power supplies.

PFC can take these input voltages that can flux wildly all over the place, and make the voltage very steady thereby not over/underloading the components in the unit.

Other countries probably have pretty bad power regulation also. Not sure about where you live, but you can usually tell just by watching an ordinary light bulb lol

in places with poor regulation, light bulbs will get slightly dim, then brighten, then dim, then brighten etc...sometimes a lot, most of the times just a little bit.

the psu should have a switch on the back that allows either 110v or 220v (this is normal on any psu that does not have active PFC)

which psu are you reffering to ?

thanks for the translation.. so the psu(skyhawk) does not have active pfc?

which psu are you reffering to ?

thanks for the translation.. so the psu(skyhawk) does not have active pfc?

all PSU's without active PFC have the switch to convert from 110 to 220

none of the Skyhawk PSU's I have are active PFC

this however is a moot point in some places like EU where everything has to have Active PFC (while here in USA Canada it does not)

Sign in to follow this