having trouble with onboard LAN

Marvell 88E8001 Gigabit

&

Vitasse VSC8201

it recognizes both but when i put a network jack it issues an ip of something like 168.xxx.xxx.x takes forever to assign an ip and can't get on the internet...

having the same problem with both!@

What does the chain of devices between your computers & the broadband modem look like?

Is it something like

{computers} --> router --> modem

or is it

{computer} --> modem

If it was the second one, are you using a cable modem or DSL? Did you have a previous computer hooked up to it?

{computer} --> modem

I currently have no router and both dual lan's take forever to assign an ip and when they do i still can't connect running windows xp pro sp 2 latest nforce drivers bios is updated as well any ideas? i tried messing with the settings enabling and disabling still nothing =/

it is a cable modem and yes i had a previous computer hooked up to it.

{computer} --> modem

I currently have no router and both dual lan's take forever to assign an ip and when they do i still can't connect running windows xp pro sp 2 latest nforce drivers bios is updated as well any ideas? i tried messing with the settings enabling and disabling still nothing =/

it is a cable modem and yes i had a previous computer hooked up to it.

OK. I have read about cable companies that do this, and have personally seen it happen. The cable modem (or whatever the modem connects to on the cable company's side) remembers the MAC address of the first card that connected to it, and then refuses connections from any other NIC without that MAC address.

This should be easy to fix if either a) you have your old computer still intact or B) if you have taken your old one apart, you used an actual card instead of a NIC built on to the board. If your old box is still intact, boot it. If your old one is in pieces, take the old card out and put it into your new one, and do the driver install thing, etc. You don't need to hook it up to your modem. Once the card is in a functional computer, open up a command prompt (Start->Run->cmd). Type "route print" without the quotes and hit enter. You'll get output like this:

[b]==========================================================================

Interface List

0x1 ........................... MS TCP Loopback interface

0x1000003 ...[color=red]00 0f 1f 70 9b 33 [/color]...... Intel(R) PRO/1000 MTW Network Connection

===========================================================================

===========================================================================[/b]

Active Routes:

Network Destination		Netmask		  Gateway	   Interface  Metric

0.0.0.0		  0.0.0.0	198.49.183.11  198.49.183.128	   1

127.0.0.0		255.0.0.0		127.0.0.1	   127.0.0.1	   1

198.49.183.0	255.255.255.0   198.49.183.128  198.49.183.128	   1

198.49.183.128  255.255.255.255		127.0.0.1	   127.0.0.1	   1

198.49.183.255  255.255.255.255   198.49.183.128  198.49.183.128	   1

224.0.0.0		224.0.0.0   198.49.183.128  198.49.183.128	   1

255.255.255.255  255.255.255.255   198.49.183.128  198.49.183.128	   1

Default Gateway:	 198.49.183.11

===========================================================================

Persistent Routes:

None

The important area is the part in bold. Look for the network adapter that was hooked up to the modem. Make sure you have the right one if you have multiple NICs on the machine. You want the number that corresponds to the number that I highlighted in red. It's 10 (oops, it's 12, I can't even count the numbers in my own damn example!) hexidecimal digits. Write that number down.

I'm not 100% sure this next part will work, as I've never tried it. I think it will though.

Go to your new box, reboot it and go into the BIOS. In one of the menus somewhere there's an option to set the MAC address for the NVidia adapter. Hopefully, someone who knows for sure where it is can post it (I'd look it up on my box but I'm at work right now). Give it the address you wrote down. Save changes, exit, reboot, and see if that works (of course, that means you'll need to have the cable modem plugged into the NVidia port).

You should also be able to set the MAC address in the Windows adapter advanced properties. Most NIC drivers offer this feature.

The old MAC can often be found on a sticker on the card. It's a 48-bit number (12 hex digits), in two groups of 24 bits (6 digits each). The first half is the vendor code and the second half is the card's serial number. This is intended to make each MAC unique. But the actual hardware and driver doesn't care about the value, and you can generally replace it in the driver config. The driver reads the default value from a small ROM chip on the card (or the motherboard BIOS), but the settings value overrides this.

The MAC and your disk serial number are often used to create "node-locked" licenses for software. If you write them down and copy them to future computers, you don't have to struggle to re-authorize software locked to those bits of hardware.