Sign in to follow this  
DaveM

Raptors failing

Hi.

I have been having these issues for the past 2 weeks and cannot figure them out.

I have 2 raptor drives (not running raid). After I install the OS on one of them and load windows, add all the driver updates and windows updates everything seems fine. But after sevral reboots it fails to completely load windows up forcing me to reformatt. I get the windows loading bar up but it never reaches the point where I would select my windows username to login, I just get a black screen. I have re formatted so many times it's crazy and it is really frustrating me. I am fairly new to custom builds so I would really appreciate advice on this.

One thing I was curious about was would the FDC controller have anything to do with this?, I am a lead short so currently don't have it connected up.

I know it's not a hd issue because I tested it with the other 37gb raptor and a spare 120gb drive I have and still have the same problem after time. :(

Ok I ran memtest for 20 mins with no errors. 1 thing I noticed that the controller was set to raid 0 so I changed it to SATA and changed my hd time to 2 seconds, not sure if this will help.

As soon as I made these changes in my BIOS windows detected new hardware (Mass Storage Device) so I let windows install the drivers and removed the jumpers from both drives. Do you think this could have been my problem?

As soon as I made these changes in my BIOS windows detected new hardware (Mass Storage Device) so I let windows install the drivers and removed the jumpers from both drives. Do you think this could have been my problem?

I am a bit confused if you are not running RAID 0 why does your sig say you are?

Assuming you are not running RAID for these two drives, that is they are running as separate storage, there really should not be any jumper settings associated with SATA. SATA does not require master or slave jumpers. So I would double check what the jumpers settings are for.

How is the system running now?

I originally had raid 0 installed but encountered problems so I decided to run them seperately and forgot to set it to just SATA instead of raid 0, the jumpers were both set the same (master) I removed both of them completely now. Seems to be ok for now but it can die on me after 1 reboot or 10 so I can't tell.