DFI LanParty NF4 Expert - initial impressions

is it true the Expert pumps 5v into the cpu at startup? :O should i change the BIOS value from 'startup' to something else?

i'm using the 11/02/2005 bios. i tried the newest beta bios, but my temperatures hardly changed, and my system became unstable (had to go down to 2.6GHz, and even then i got some BSODs in windows). my current sig is the most stable/best performing setup. 38-39 C load indicated (would be safe? i'm assuming that's still 49 C or under without the lies)

so if it really is a dangerous issue, i'd have expected dfi to promptly release a new bios that doesn't kill CPUs. but they only put out that sorry beta, so i'm hoping there's nothing to this?

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Main difference seem to be the same for the Expert vs the non expert as for the Asus old deluxe versus the new deluxe. The power management... Otherwise it´s very much the same thing except the obvious layout changes which I do like :)

The issue is in certain circumstances you risk sending high voltage though rather 3 V. DFI have released a fix but it´s still a beta BIOS and you void your warranty using it according to DFI.

Main difference seem to be the same for the Expert vs the non expert as for the Asus old deluxe versus the new deluxe. The power management... Otherwise it´s very much the same thing except the obvious layout changes which I do like :)

The issue is in certain circumstances you risk sending high voltage though rather 3 V. DFI have released a fix but it´s still a beta BIOS and you void your warranty using it according to DFI.

Slightly confused about it voiding the warranty, does it mean it your using a approved BIOS and it kills the CPU DFI will replace it under warranty? Or are we just talking about the motherboard?

using a beta bios will not itself void your warranty unless the bios itself is the direct cause for the rma of the board. at least that is my understanding of dfi's wording.

The BIOS and Drivers in this section are still under evaluation. Please be advised that warranty will be voided for any damages caused by these BIOS/Drivers on your system and DFI is not liable for such damages.

is it true the Expert pumps 5v into the cpu at startup?

No.

What is suspected to assumed is that the "special VID" will at startup be applied on top of not what you set for Vcore, but for the CPUs default, which can lead to overvolt.

Supposedly this info come from Oskar Wu, but I'm not so sure. I'll bring out the voltmeter today.

The information was also unclear as to whether this applies to both the SLI-DR and the Expert or the Expert only.

Something else about the temperature thing...

I flashed the most actual beta bios (the one from december), and I do have a San Diego (which should definitely be supported).

Now, at 2.8GHz, 1.58V, I do get 20-21°C under LOAD. Room temperature at that time was 22°C, water temperature 24°C.

I guess the readings are at least 10°C too low.

size.jpg

I don´t know about warranty on mainboards overall. But using beta Bios means DFI won´t accept your RMA.

btw your powerstream how is it working with your case?

Absolutely delighted with the Powerstream it's by far the best PSU I've ever had, had several Tagen's Enermax, Antec etc but this is AMAZING the rails never move at all even when using Prime 95 and gaming and I'm using a decent multimeter.

I can't say I'm getting a better overclock or anything I haven't measured that but the stability is unbelievable, it's more noisy than the Tagens but runs very cool it must have good fans :)

Hi guys I jumped on the expert wagon!

This board doesn't like my memory I having a hard time getting stable with 2 sticks.

my questions is how hot is to hot right now im running at 2.8gz Ide is about 50C!

Hi guys I jumped on the expert wagon!

This board doesn't like my memory I having a hard time getting stable with 2 sticks.

my questions is how hot is to hot right now im running at 2.8gz Ide is about 50C!

well that's too high for an idle. if 50C was on load then it should still be fine but for idle that's just too much. how much vcore are you using?

My bad...

I was using everest to monitor the temp it seems to always say 50C I just installed n-tune and it says 29C hmmm... my guess its closer to 29C.

I am starting to like this board I am up and running on the first day!!! my last board was the nf3 939 ultra it took my a week and a half to get the darn thing to boot to windows.

and 9141 for the first run at 3dmark05 on the expert :sweat:

Please do not use nTune for anything other than monitoring your hardware. I'd rather see you uninstall nTune and use SmartGuardian.

nTune is not supported by DFI.

My bad...

I was using everest to monitor the temp it seems to always say 50C I just installed n-tune and it says 29C hmmm... my guess its closer to 29C.

I am starting to like this board I am up and running on the first day!!! my last board was the nf3 939 ultra it took my a week and a half to get the darn thing to boot to windows.

and 9141 for the first run at 3dmark05 on the expert :sweat: