DFI LanParty NF4 Expert - initial impressions

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@servo: Well, at least that tells me that the bios can't be just crap ;) I was only afraid, as many folks on XS had these huge problems with the EB sticks, or other Infineon-based sticks. I won't need to max my sticks out, doesn't fit with the multiplier, but I planned to have them running at 255-260. And as they said there were so many problems, partly even with dual channel not being able to run stable, I thought it might be better to double check.

Now, I'm really looking forward to see my board in action :D

honestly, i havent had an issue with the board so far. just plugged in the mems into the orange slots, cleaned out the gunk on the NB cooler and replaced it with OCZ paste, plugged in all power cables and voila, system ran. i've yet to encounter any issues.

also, if you read the manual, it says there that putting the mems in DIMM slots 2 and 4 (the orange slots) provide the best performance so i just followed it.

im pretty sure the Expert will perform well, we just have to research and read thoroughly. i didnt build my Expert until a week after I got it and took the time i had to research. it really helps.

good luck!

Well manuals are only as good as the day before they are released ... as mine states that DIMMs 1&3 (Yellow) are to be used for dual operation. ;)

That aside, what are your Genie settings for the GeIL TCCD modules and are they running up at DDR600 yet?

honestly, i havent had an issue with the board so far. just plugged in the mems into the orange slots, cleaned out the gunk on the NB cooler and replaced it with OCZ paste, plugged in all power cables and voila, system ran. i've yet to encounter any issues.

also, if you read the manual, it says there that putting the mems in DIMM slots 2 and 4 (the orange slots) provide the best performance so i just followed it.

im pretty sure the Expert will perform well, we just have to research and read thoroughly. i didnt build my Expert until a week after I got it and took the time i had to research. it really helps.

good luck!

Well manuals are only as good as the day before they are released ... as mine states that DIMMs 1&3 (Yellow) are to be used for dual operation. ;)

That aside, what are your Genie settings for the GeIL TCCD modules and are they running up at DDR600 yet?

forgot the settings, im at work right now and im only using my Ultra-D (modded to SLI-D) here. will post them when i get home.

as for the manual, it seems DFI is changing the manuals as the revisions go by, hehehehe.

i cant run DDR600 on my GeIL Ones unfortunately, my X2 isnt that good an OCer. tops out at around 2.6 GHz :(. i could hit DDR600 but that would mean dropping the multi to 9 but i dont want to experiment yet until i have the Expert fully understood, hehehe

@servo: Thanks alot, and yes I do know the manual. It's not that much different form the former nf4 boards, and I had those for quite a while.

I really was only confused about this fuss with the EB sticks, and as so few people have the board yet, I couldn't find any scores on differen bios versions.

@angry: Why no 64? With my Ultra-D, it ran like a charm. Nicer than 32-bit even.

@angry: Just a specific question on the timings you used for the EBs on the Expert. Most part is just the same as I used on the normal nf4 (even if I set cpc, tcl, trcd, tras and trp manually), only the value for row refresh differs alot. I used to have it on 15, you were using 24. Other values only differed by one, so that's no big deal.

Did you have a specific reason for this, or was that just a "safe setting"?

@servo: Thanks alot, and yes I do know the manual. It's not that much different form the former nf4 boards, and I had those for quite a while.

I really was only confused about this fuss with the EB sticks, and as so few people have the board yet, I couldn't find any scores on differen bios versions.

@angry: Why no 64? With my Ultra-D, it ran like a charm. Nicer than 32-bit even.

@angry: Is this because DFI doesn't support it?

I've had a dual boot set up with XP Pro 32 bit. Although I have absolutly no idea why XP 64 overclocks better. Everything will pass in 64. Then when I boot back into 32 I have to tweak the voltage up and relax a few timings (TRAS from 5 to 6) to get it to pass. The only reason I had XP 32 was to run Daemon Tools. Now that V4 is released for 64 the dual boot will soon go away. Have had ZERO problems with drivers and software.

You were able to clock higher there? Interesting. For me, 64 was more exact about stable / not stable, more reliable testing. And to tell the truth, FarCry 64-bit alone is worth the time ;)

somewhat OT but what makes Far Cry 64 bit better than the normal one? kinda curious hehehe