DFI LanParty NF4 Expert - initial impressions

Im gonna build my Expert later. Im gonna use my Antec TP550EPS12V. I checked the PSU list and its there under the "Bang for the Buck" category. It has the 8 pin power plug as well. I spose this would be okay right? Cos if it werent, I'll just use my HEC Winpower 550AB (also has 8 pin connector).

I'll be porting my other parts over as well...

Any comments?

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interestingly, the manual says you can use a standard 4-pin 12v header if you'd like and the board will run, but for best results to use the 8-pin.

You don't even need a header, you just plug the 4-pin into the top 4 pins of the 8pin slot.

Interestingly, the manual says you can use a standard 4-pin 12v header if you'd like and the board will run, but for best results to use the 8-pin.

You don't even need a header, you just plug the 4-pin into the top 4 pins of the 8pin slot.

The key phrase is "for best results to use the 8-pin."

Please do not attempt to run the board without the proper PSU. You're just asking for trouble. Pick a PSU from the list of known good units with an 8pin CPU power connector.

link goodness...

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10854

Please do not attempt to run the board without the proper PSU. You're just asking for trouble. Pick a PSU from the list of known good units with an 8pin CPU power connector.

link goodness...

hehe kinda like a games recommended specs or sumthin...

I like the way they've made the nforce chip between the PCI-E sockets... in my opinion putting it so it was under one of the cards was a problem on the NF4 SLI models

After seeing this board that is the VERY reason why I picked it up. Now if only I can FINISH getting my parts,. ..

link goodness...

It's kind of funny that the whole Anandtech review was done with a 4-pin connector instead of an 8-pin. . . . I guess they weren't willing to spring the extra cash to get the proper power supply. But seems that results still came out pretty good.

It helps when you have good hardware. Did you also notice they were using a PCP&C 510 SLI.

I got a kick out of anadtech referring to the CPU power connector as a "new style 12V plug".

The EPS power supply spec has been around since Intel designed the Xeon processor and server motherboards.

It's kind of funny that the whole Anandtech review was done with a 4-pin connector instead of an 8-pin. . . . I guess they weren't willing to spring the extra cash to get the proper power supply. But seems that results still came out pretty good.