DFI LanParty NF4 Expert - initial impressions

keep in mind that the Drive Strength and Data Drive Strength is very different than the original NF4 board, in the sense that you cannot just 'copy' the settings from the NF4 to the Expert and expect to get the same overclock (i have found this out from about a week of fooling with overclocking memory that I know exactly what it will do in regular NF4)

What do you recommand as drive strengh and data drive strengh, I am having one problem, everytime I reboot or cold boot , I get BSOD, the only work around I found if I hit del on reboot, get into bios, hit save and exit, then it boots fine , any thoughts on this.

thanks

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What do you recommand as drive strengh and data drive strengh, I am having one problem, everytime I reboot or cold boot , I get BSOD, the only work around I found if I hit del on reboot, get into bios, hit save and exit, then it boots fine , any thoughts on this.

thanks

i recommend you keep trying different combinations of Drive Strenght and Data Drive Strength until you find one that works well for what you are trying to achieve

Could someone help me in explaining the different Lan Party boards, 1st what is the difference between the UT versions and the non UT versions, 2nd what is the difference between the SLI-DR and the SLI-D, also does the Expert version come with all the extras such as the FrontX plate the Transpo and the cable sleevings etc.

Also which one would people recomend and with what memory, I'm thinking the OCZ Platinum Rev 2's, if anyone has any suggestions for different memory in the same budget that would be great.

Thanks .

Visit newegg.com and look at the pictures for the accessory packs.

The DR boards have the native nF4 SATA controller and another SIL controller with 4 ports.

For recommendations you should visit the Recommendations forum.

Could someone help me in explaining the different Lan Party boards, 1st what is the difference between the UT versions and the non UT versions, 2nd what is the difference between the SLI-DR and the SLI-D, also does the Expert version come with all the extras such as the FrontX plate the Transpo and the cable sleevings etc.

Also which one would people recomend and with what memory, I'm thinking the OCZ Platinum Rev 2's, if anyone has any suggestions for different memory in the same budget that would be great.

Thanks .

Ill try a bigger hammer.

Yes, nothing we do so far stresses x8 x8, but IF you take 2 X1800XT's and try to Cfire them over the PCIe bus....like 2 X1300 boards... then it uses x4 to GPU1 and x4 to GPU2 and leaves x4 total to handle comm between GPUs. Not enough to support full blast on a X1800XT.

On x16 x16, it's x6 to GPU1, x6 to GPU2 and x10 between the GPUs for CFire. Bingo. X1800XT at full speed.... TWO NORMAL X1800XT's, not mastercard, etc.

As for "these aren't CFire", well that is soley ATI's choice to enforce not allowing competitor's boards to perform CFire. It's purely a DRIVER issue, where ATI deliberately coded in "If not ATI approved motherboard, no CFire". As was discovered by accident with early CFire drivers, the P4 version of NF4 SLI board actually work as CFire. They "fixed" that little error in a hurry.

Hopefully someone will figure out what BIOS data item needs to be reported to satisfy the ATI driver, and we'll have the bios modding guru's tweak in a solution. OR ATI could just wise up.

And as for NF4 supporting... blah blah, well they managed to get more lanes on the A8N32, it's not that hard to add lanes and use the NF4 in the process.

The NF4 is clearly the best A64 chipset so far, and the DFI implementation is clearly the best of the NF4's..... so forgive me for wanting the addition of more hardcore capability's.

IAnd as for NF4 supporting... blah blah, well they managed to get more lanes on the A8N32, it's not that hard to add lanes and use the NF4 in the process.

Those extra lanes are provided by a chipset configuration which is very different from the "normal" nF4 chipset.

SNIP from anandtech...

-----

While both the P5N32-SLI for Intel and this A8N32-SLI for AMD provide two full speed 16-bit slots for SLI, they use a slightly different set of chipsets to drive this feature. This AMD version uses what is basically a C51 Northbridge chip without integrated graphics for the A8N32-SLI North Bridge and an nForce4 SLI chip for the South Bridge. In this hybrid design, each bridge drives one x16 slot and a total of 40 PCIe lanes are available to the board.

-----

http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2589&p=2