Sign in to follow this  
Angry_Games

DFI LanParty NF4 Expert - initial impressions

For clarity.

There is not a single card on the market with a GPU that can saturate the X8 lanes bandwidth of a PCIe bus. Period. Not gonna happen.

The nF4 chipset has a total of X20 lanes. This is the reason that when both X16 physical slots are used you switch to X8 bandwidth for each.

Only the nF4 Pro chipset offers two X16 physical slots with X16 bandwidth.

The reason to have x16 x16 instead of x8 x8 is that the x1300/x1600 boards on x8 x8 can Crossfire without dongle's or mastercards using the PCIe bus.

But the X850 x1800 cant because x8 x8 cant hack it, but x16 x16 can easily handle 2 normal x1800's or x850's in CFire, no dongle, no mastercard.

So the ASUS A8N32 is the only x16 x16 then? Bummer I was really hoping DFI did x16 x16 on the Expert.

Neither board is Crossfire capable so the point is moot.

lol thats exactly right dan...this is an NF4 board, not a CROSSFIRE board

besides, we've seen the testing from teh 16x16x boards and guess what...there's zero difference that we have seen from 8x8x

which is exactly why we did not go with the 16x 16x chipset

Just finished swapping MOBO's, from SLI-DR to the expert, the only new additin is replacing the Xp-90 with the big typhoon.

copied settings from old bios , slight OC see my sig , same as old mobo, booted without a problem at all, loaded windows (same settings nothing resinstalled). Gotta luv that Big typhoon, dual priming for a couple of hours now, CPU temps 37-38 (100% usage dual prime that is) , idles as low as 24C. and it aint cold here is Los angeles my room is at 24-25 C.

The only difference Ive noticed so far is that CPU is cooler (due to the typhoon) but the graphic cards are significantly cooler as well, due to them been spaced away from eachother (prime reason why I bought the expert). I also got a couple of NVsilencers , but haven't installed those yet, I'm thinking I might have not needed them, cause I played games and GPU maxed out at 69C which isn't bad comparing to 83 in the past. Oh well I'll go ahead and install the silencers since I bought them any way.

All in All very good experience with the expert, I'm a happy camper (so far)

Time to change the Sig :)

keep in mind that the Drive Strength and Data Drive Strength is very different than the original NF4 board, in the sense that you cannot just 'copy' the settings from the NF4 to the Expert and expect to get the same overclock (i have found this out from about a week of fooling with overclocking memory that I know exactly what it will do in regular NF4)

ya i almost deleted it because its so squished together i could barely make out all the necessary tests, but i kept looking at it for a while and realized you had everything that was required

next time just don't smash it all together so much lol

Has it been yet confirmed if those temp readings are accurate? it's just hard to beleive that CPU temp are same as room temp 25C with aircooling. smart guardian and MBM5 same readings?

The temps,

Like I said this is my first liquid cooling setup, but my temps at idle and load are very consistently about 10 degrees lower than they were with air which would make sense. I also see that big bump in temp when I reach the point of increasing vcore where the return is not worth it.

Just based on my past experiences and feelings dealing with this same equipment in other boards, and the fact that my vcore is so steady, I think they are pretty accurate at least in my board. I also know from many of my past experiences with nf3 boards you usually see temps that are too high not too low, but hopefully we will get some information from angry or dfi.

Peace

The temps,

Like I said this is my first liquid cooling setup, but my temps at idle and load are very consistently about 10 degrees lower than they were with air which would make sense. I also see that big bump in temp when I reach the point of increasing vcore where the return is not worth it.

Just based on my past experiences and feelings dealing with this same equipment in other boards, and the fact that my vcore is so steady, I think they are pretty accurate at least in my board. I also know from many of my past experiences with nf3 boards you usually see temps that are too high not too low, but hopefully we will get some information from angry or dfi.

Peace

man i had 6x NF4 boards so far......half of them DFI and this is the first DFI board with temp problem....Abit had a temp problem too and they fixed it with bios upgrade.............maybe your one is reporting properly but i doubt it considering how many other people have confirmed the temp under reporting........unless we're all imagining something

Is it possible to get a table together for certain types of ram, for those drive thingys?

Ie data drive strength and drive strength?

I'm not sure what is what anymore...

I done searching and I've gotten confused.

What timings on the nf4 relate to the timings on the nf2 in terms of slew and drive, or whatever it's called by default.

Pretty please lol :) ?

Anyways I think a table of things liek this should be setup...

It really seems to me on this old board that those timings are really the most inportent in overall stability.

For instance I can play all day at 278 on this nf2 in DC, if I got better drive and slews.

Non the less with bad timings so far.

The better the drive and slews the better the timings can get.

I'm not stable at certain fsb's no matter what without good slew and drives ^^.

Also am I correct to assume you can flash a nf4 sli bios to this expert board and flash back without probs?

Not saying you could flash a nf4 sli to an expert, might not be a good idea.

The release bios, 11/02 or something, that romsip was about the same as the sli romsip on some other ver bios.

At least the bottem half was(Checked by eye), just that there's only one table instead of 2.

Also, I'd like to see some results from peeps that have had a nf4 board before and are using the same parts except the board it's self.

What I'd like to know is if anyone does'nt need as high vcore now then before the board upgrade.

Oh and has anyone actually benched a sli bios compared to a expert bios if it is possible to flash a sli bios ?