Sign in to follow this  
Angry_Games

DFI LanParty NF4 Expert - initial impressions

I think basically the idea is to use an expert bios on an expert board???

RGone...

Try flashing to the 704-2bt bios.

Works great for me.

RGone are you saying that bios is for the expert, or not for the expert? If it is, do you think it would help my problem? It is running great other than that one thing. I don't want to cause more problems than I fix.

I checked the DFI website, and they only have one BIOS up for download on their site.

PCB Revision A

Date Code 2005/11/02

File NF4EDB02.zip

Size 423,208 bytes

Description First release

It says first release, so I would think that it is the one that shipped with the MB.

Thats bios is NOT for the expert, but I have the expert and found that that bios works well.

I guess it could not hurt to try the newer bios for the expert....

Its is a BETA bios however, so you might not want to try it..

http://us.dfi.com.tw/Support/Download/bios..._FLAG=B&SITE=US

EDIT:

Well, when I first booted my Expert board, i could not run SuperPi for 5 seconds. Let alone any games or anything.

I switched to 704-2bta, and I was finally stable, more or less. At least better than before, I could run PI all night, and pass OCCT no problem.

I just switched to the new beta bios.

Maybe its my setttings, but im running awesome.

[email protected] 2.5x right now.

Waiting for my water cooling to get in before I push it more.

No way I could have had this on the other bios.

Well even if he was 'angry' he would not tell you to flash a regular DFI NF4 board bios onto your "expert" board. We have been told flatly not to flash an NF4 board with 'expert' board bios.

RGone...

Well,

Once again I am simply amazed at how stable this board is. I am just messing about, but I was able to boot into windows at 290x10 at the sick voltage of 1.71 vcore. Prime95 instantly failed, but, it let me run the full 3dmark2001se suite no problem! Too hot though and too scary so I guess I don't have the worlds most overclockable cpu, but we shall see.

At 1.52 it looks like the temp is maxed out at 38 degrees at 270x10 so I will run a torture test and see if i can get a decent 24 hours in.

I have previously run this same cpu, memory, gpu etc in both an epox nf4ultra and my msi k8n, neither one would boot into windows at 2800, and i would constantly see flux in my cpu voltage, whereas the eXpert stays rock steady at whatever I set the vcore at in bios.

Here are some preliminary screenies for your review :)

screen015cr.th.jpg

screen023dc.th.jpg

screen038rt.th.jpg

I just bought new computer with the specs listed on my signature below. May i ask from the EXPERT on how to best overclock this system. I been thinking of somewhere 2600mhz or a littlebit more on air. I'm a kindergarten when it comes to overclocking and dont know much specially playing with the settings (EXPERT has tons of it and I dont have any idea where to begin or what exactly needs to be done to get the desired 2600Mhz clock).:confused:

Any help from Mr. Angry and other Experts out there is highly appreciated. By the way, if this is not the right forum to address this request please tell me so and where. Thanks!

The reason to have x16 x16 instead of x8 x8 is that the x1300/x1600 boards on x8 x8 can Crossfire without dongle's or mastercards using the PCIe bus.

But the X850 x1800 cant because x8 x8 cant hack it, but x16 x16 can easily handle 2 normal x1800's or x850's in CFire, no dongle, no mastercard.

So the ASUS A8N32 is the only x16 x16 then? Bummer I was really hoping DFI did x16 x16 on the Expert.

The reason to have x16 x16 instead of x8 x8 is that the x1300/x1600 boards on x8 x8 can Crossfire without dongle's or mastercards using the PCIe bus.

But the X850 x1800 cant because x8 x8 cant hack it, but x16 x16 can easily handle 2 normal x1800's or x850's in CFire, no dongle, no mastercard.

So the ASUS A8N32 is the only x16 x16 then? Bummer I was really hoping DFI did x16 x16 on the Expert.

Neither board is Crossfire capable so the point is moot.

Guest thespin
By the way, if this is not the right forum to address this request please tell me so and where. Thanks!
Obviously not the right forum. Start a new topic in the AMD OC section ...