DFI LanParty NF4 Expert - initial impressions

The SIL controller and the X-Fi are on the PCI bus. Look for an IRQ being shared.

Greetings!

I´m having a strange problem, maybe someone here can help me.

everytime I enable raid 5 at the SIL3114 controler my sound gets messed up (lots of cranking and distortion).

I´m using 3x 400Gb Hitachi sata hard drives. The sound card is a Sound Blaster XFI Elite Pro.

The distortion is related to the SIL controler, I´ve got no doubts about that. If I disable raid 5 everything works perfectly. Currently I have 2 HD´s in a RAID 1 configuration and got no problems at all.

I´ve noticed that both sound card and SIL controler are on the same IRQ, at boot, and at windows.

Can it be a bus problem? Read somewhere that we must mannually assign different IRQ´s for the 2 devices. The problem is... XP... the OS does that automatically. Microsoft suggests turning of ACPI option at BIOS and reinstall windows... (ACPI assigns the IRQ´s at windows) but that would be killing the "Plug and Pray" beauty of the system... would not be suitable for me.

Already tried to switch the pci slot of the sound card, but still got no success (same IRQ assigned all the times),

The sata cables are shielded... PSU cables are shielded... so... no EMI issue here...

got any suggestions?

Thanks!

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey guys, I have a quick question for you. If I get this motherboard, will my OCZ520ADJ work for this? I have the P4 and the P4+ ATX lines, I'm assuming you connect those together and insert into the EPS12V plug. I'm a little concerned as I thought I read that this board requires a PSU with a Dual +12V rail. I'm hoping I have just misinterperated a previous post.

EDIT: Nevermind, I'm seeing quite a few signatures with a 520ADJ and the Expert. Sorry, I should've looked a little bit harder before posting the question...

Exroadie,

like I said in the post... yes, they do share the same IRQ...

I can´t change it inside windows xp (ACPI)...

Can´t change in bios either (did not find anything related to reserving IRQ to a PCI slot)...

Changing the PCI slot did not help...

any suggestions?

(would not like to turn ACPI off)

Thanks!

Exroadie,

like I said in the post... yes, they do share the same IRQ...

I can´t change it inside windows xp (ACPI)...

Can´t change in bios either (did not find anything related to reserving IRQ to a PCI slot)...

Changing the PCI slot did not help...

any suggestions?

(would not like to turn ACPI off)

Thanks!

here's a suggestion

read the forum rules and follow them before asking for help

Ok! I Believe the signature will help... It was foolish not to post it, I´m sorry.

I´ll repeat the essential of the posts, and hope you delete the previous ones.

everytime I enable raid 5 at the SIL3114 controler my sound gets messed up (lots of cranking and distortion).

I´m using 3x 400Gb Hitachi sata hard drives. The sound card is a Sound Blaster XFI Elite Pro.

The distortion is related to the SIL controler, I´ve got no doubts about that. If I disable raid 5, and assign the drives to a Raid 1 set everything works perfectly.

I´ve noticed that both sound card and SIL controler are on the same IRQ, at boot, and at windows.

Can it be a bus problem? Read somewhere that we must mannually assign different IRQ´s for the 2 devices.

The problem is... XP... the OS assigns the IRQ´s automatically and does not allows changes.

Could not find any option at bios to assign an IRQ to a specific PCI Slot.

Microsoft suggests turning of ACPI option at BIOS and reinstall windows without the ACPI function, but that would be killing the "Plug and Pray" beauty of the system... would not be suitable for me.

Already tried to switch the pci slot of the sound card, but still got no success (same IRQ is assigned all the times),

The sata cables are shielded... PSU cables are shielded... so... no EMI issue here...

Already updated ALL hardware drivers with current ones. No success.

Already tried both official and beta Bios from DFI (to my specific board). No success.

Thanks, best regards.

PS: hope I´m not breaking any forum rule.

EDIT: using nforce4 6.70 nvidia drivers, using 81.95 X-TremeG nvidia modified Drivers, XP with SP2 and all available updates.

Ok! I Believe the signature will help... It was foolish not to post it, I´m sorry.

I´ll repeat the essential of the posts, and hope you delete the previous ones.

The distortion is related to the SIL controler, I´ve got no doubts about that. If I disable raid 5, and assign the drives to a Raid 1 set everything works perfectly.

Can it be a bus problem? Read somewhere that we must mannually assign different IRQ´s for the 2 devices.

The problem is... XP... the OS assigns the IRQ´s automatically and does not allows changes.

Could not find any option at bios to assign an IRQ to a specific PCI Slot.

Microsoft suggests turning of ACPI option at BIOS and reinstall windows without the ACPI function, but that would be killing the "Plug and Pray" beauty of the system... would not be suitable for me.

Already tried to switch the pci slot of the sound card, but still got no success (same IRQ is assigned all the times),

Already updated ALL hardware drivers with current ones. No success.

Already tried both official and beta Bios from DFI (to my specific board). No success.

Thanks, best regards.

PS: hope I´m not breaking any forum rule.

EDIT: using nforce4 6.70 nvidia drivers, using 81.95 X-TremeG nvidia modified Drivers, XP with SP2 and all available updates.

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread...ghlight=irq+pci

this should help

as angry said use the search feature

"If you feel as though this humiliated you in any way please accept my most humble apology"

"as angry said use the search feature"

More and more I see things like this on this forum, why can people not be more friendly no one on here is a god or anything we are all human, I myself have tried to search for many things without success, probably because I'm not putting in the right words I'm sure but nevertheless I have given up asking sometimes because of remarks like that, lets put it this way is not not more enjoyable to help someone if you know the answer or do you get more fun humiliating people. We all have to learn from somewhere then when we have we can also help others unless I'm mistaken is that not what it's all about?

"as angry said use the search feature"

More and more I see things like this on this forum, why can people not be more friendly no one on here is a god or anything we are all human, I myself have tried to search for many things without success, probably because I'm not putting in the right words I'm sure but nevertheless I have given up asking sometimes because of remarks like that, lets put it this way is not not more enjoyable to help someone if you know the answer or do you get more fun humiliating people. We all have to learn from somewhere then when we have we can also help others unless I'm mistaken is that not what it's all about?

This is off-topic from the original thread, but I agree. While at the same time reminding the poster to use the search function, we could also answer his question if it is relatively easy and quick. Everyone starts somewhere. The only time I think a one-line "use the search feature" response is warranted is when the person is a repeat offender.

This is off-topic from the original thread, but I agree. While at the same time reminding the poster to use the search function, we could also answer his question if it is relatively easy and quick. Everyone starts somewhere. The only time I think a one-line "use the search feature" response is warranted is when the person is a repeat offender.

the question was answered

Does anyone know where the differences between different board revisions are? I do have a A.02, AA.0 and AB.0 here, but I can't tell the difference just by looking at them.

it just means they shipped with different bioses