DFI LanParty NF4 Expert - initial impressions

Okay since it looks like something went up on my Seasonic should I be getting one of those Enermax 600W? Didnt think the problem would happen cause from what I read the cold boot was caused by Jp17 which the Expert doesnt have so would the Enermax be a good idea?

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems to, at least way lower than the other DFI NF4 boards.

hmm my temps are the same as they were with the sli-dr .. always idled in the mid 20s .. and then loaded in the 30cs .. when i pushed more volts and my room was hot .. it loaded around 45c

I just recieved all my parts, and thought I was going to do ok getting up and running, but wow I think I may be over my head, I have alot of learning to do here.

Below is what I bought, I am just wanting to get everything up and running stock speeds. I am not wanting to overclock yet. I cannot decipher what alot of the BIOS settings are though. Does anybody have a list of what their stock settings are if you have similar parts?

Spend some quality time with the build guide before you get started...

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6615

I just recieved all my parts, and thought I was going to do ok getting up and running, but wow I think I may be over my head, I have alot of learning to do here.

Below is what I bought, I am just wanting to get everything up and running stock speeds. I am not wanting to overclock yet. I cannot decipher what alot of the BIOS settings are though. Does anybody have a list of what their stock settings are if you have similar parts?

This might just be an Everest thing, but the CPU temp listed there shows 40C for me, however ther is an auxiliary that dead matches smartguardian at 11C. So I'm not really sure what's going on, but it's definitely running cool since the radiator on top of my case doesn't feel warm at all.

Are you saying that in your previous setup you got enough heat out of the processor to warm up your radiators and in this setup you are not?

I would check the heatsink to CPU setup right away unless the processors are different enough to warrant that kind of temp difference.

This might just be an Everest thing, but the CPU temp listed there shows 40C for me, however ther is an auxiliary that dead matches smartguardian at 11C. So I'm not really sure what's going on, but it's definitely running cool since the radiator on top of my case doesn't feel warm at all.

it would be good if you could check your temps with a non-opteron as there are a fair few people so far with some weird temperature reading (very low in all cases).......can you pls follow this guide to calculate your current thermal resistance using the set out variables......if you have a temp probe it would also be great if you could physically measure your temps on the side of your CPU heatsink

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showpost.p...96&postcount=15

Are you saying that in your previous setup you got enough heat out of the processor to warm up your radiators and in this setup you are not?

I would check the heatsink to CPU setup right away unless the processors are different enough to warrant that kind of temp difference.

Problem is theres a lot of factors reducing the temps from before..

1. Removed IHS

2. Stepped up to TDX silver & BIX3

3. Removed GPU's from CPU loop

4. Winter has set in (9C in my room right now)

So I'm pretty sure that I'm good to go, odd that I can't get past 2.75GHz yet though. Seriously this setup has NEVER been above 28C. Anyways, I just checked the waterblok and it's on just fine, AS5 should be set pretty well by now too. Fine tuning is the call for tonight...I'd love to hit 2.9+ but I have doubts about my particular 4400.

Edit: to dinos, just calculated this out. At my sig settings I'm seeing 1.47*rated output, and that's assuming 1.35v is stock. This has to be close to the 110 watts stock as your opteron was, but I haven't been able to find that info yet.

Edit again: Sitting at 255x11 @ 1.4+124% right now, did dual 30 minute SuperPi so far. Gonna see how far I can push it from here. It was never stable (even this 'stable') before at these speeds, but I jacked up the LDT voltage to 1.5 and chipset to 1.8. Temps are looking fine, chipset's sitting at 40C right now. On to see if 2.9 is possible...

Problem is theres a lot of factors reducing the temps from before..

1. Removed IHS

2. Stepped up to TDX silver & BIX3

3. Removed GPU's from CPU loop

4. Winter has set in (9C in my room right now)

So I'm pretty sure that I'm good to go, odd that I can't get past 2.75GHz yet though. Seriously this setup has NEVER been above 28C. Anyways, I just checked the waterblok and it's on just fine, AS5 should be set pretty well by now too. Fine tuning is the call for tonight...I'd love to hit 2.9+ but I have doubts about my particular 4400.

Edit: to dinos, just calculated this out. At my sig settings I'm seeing 1.47*rated output, and that's assuming 1.35v is stock. This has to be close to the 110 watts stock as your opteron was, but I haven't been able to find that info yet.

Edit again: Sitting at 255x11 @ 1.4+124% right now, did dual 30 minute SuperPi so far. Gonna see how far I can push it from here. It was never stable (even this 'stable') before at these speeds, but I jacked up the LDT voltage to 1.5 and chipset to 1.8. Temps are looking fine, chipset's sitting at 40C right now. On to see if 2.9 is possible...

i just did a quick calculation and it works out that your thermal resistance is 0.1175 C/W...............i'd say you are out with your temp reporting.........i don't think high end water cooling thermal resistance can go below 0.16/0.17 but don't quote me on that.......you can check at procooling to see what they say over there

anyways with 0.16C/W you load would be 35C........your 9C ambient helps out a LOT :).....you must be well dressed lol

It's a litle chilly, but I have a heated blanket just waiting for me when I go to bed... :nod:

But anyways, running SuperPi @ 2860 now, except I'm getting damn high on my voltage at near 1.75v. Not sure if I should even bother but it realy must be running cool, the block itself feels as cool as the radiator does, and anything on the block that I touch can't be more than a quarter inch or so from the CPU itself. Obviously that isn't the best method in the world to test it, but at least it's not warm/hot I guess. :rolleyes:

Oh yeah, closed the window and she's running at 18-20C idle at these settings, around 28-30 on dual SuperPi, I have no idea what my room's sitting at now.

Edit: this board seems to really put out some power, mem's sitting at 3.5v, 1.8 on the chipset, 1.5 on LDT, 1.75ish on the processor. I'm pretty impressed with both the board itself and my PSU. By the way, PWM IC is sitting at 28C, so it's safe too :)