DFI LanParty NF4 Expert - initial impressions

awesome

it isn't awesome. There is a temp sensor problem there

another user over at i4memory tested his CPU (exact same as mine) in Asus board and this Expert board............his Asus load temps were 57-59C and DFI A VERY SCARY 30C............that's almost 30C difference in temps.......i'm not going past 1.45v until this gets fixed either in bios or whatever is necessary......my old Abit was overreporting temps by up to 10C i remember well and they've first denied it and them fixed with BIOS 17 onwards............i don't want to fry my dual core you know what i mean :)

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Way too many variables involved in your example.

What TIM was used and how was it applied? What heatsink/fan combination and what speed was the fan running? What was the room temp? What software tool was reporting the temps?

Plus it's still well below the max rated temp of the CPU.

it isn't awesome. There is a temp sensor problem there

another user over at i4memory tested his CPU (exact same as mine) in Asus board and this Expert board............his Asus load temps were 57-59C and DFI A VERY SCARY 30C............that's almost 30C difference in temps.......i'm not going past 1.45v until this gets fixed either in bios or whatever is necessary......my old Abit was overreporting temps by up to 10C i remember well and they've first denied it and them fixed with BIOS 17 onwards............i don't want to fry my dual core you know what i mean :)

Way too many variables involved in your example.

What TIM was used and how was it applied? What heatsink/fan combination and what speed was the fan running? What was the room temp? What software tool was reporting the temps?

Plus it's still well below the max rated temp of the CPU.

yeah i thought you'd jump at any form of criticism.....i asked the bloke to do a proper post on this forum so that we don't OT here...............in terms of my setup i use TT Sonic Tower and a Gigabyte 3D Aurora Case fan which spins at 990RPM max.....almost silent + crap CFM as well so i don't have the greatest cooler setup however I am getting load temps within 1-2C of my ambient at stock settings which is way too low......I don't think my difference is 30C but it certainly isn't correct either.....anyways to cut the long story short let's wait for him to report his findings and see how many other users share his opinion

yeah i thought you'd jump at any form of criticism.....i asked the bloke to do a proper post on this forum so that we don't OT here...............in terms of my setup i use TT Sonic Tower and a Gigabyte 3D Aurora Case fan which spins at 990RPM max.....almost silent + crap CFM as well so i don't have the greatest cooler setup however I am getting load temps within 1-2C of my ambient at stock settings which is way too low......I don't think my difference is 30C but it certainly isn't correct either.....anyways to cut the long story short let's wait for him to report his findings and see how many other users share his opinion

Why not use a thermistor? IMO, they're more accurate and pretty cheap these days.

Why not use a thermistor? IMO, they're more accurate and pretty cheap these days.

i have a thermal sensor lying around BUT how do you stick it in on the heatsink without crushing it.............the mobo costs a fair bit....i think it's reasonable to assume that those things would work OK......but i will do some of my testing and hopefully we'll have more users sharing about this because i've already had a few people tell me the same thing so it's out but i don't know how easy or hard it is to recalibrate it........when you get your board you should let us know how your one goes :)

I tape the thermistor flat against the side of the IHS and take a small piece of packing foam (from pad that comes with the board) and wedge it between the IHS and RM, doesn't even touch the heatsink. I'd take a pic of it but I don't have it setup right now.

I'll LYK what I get for temp readings when I get it in. :nod:

I tape the thermistor flat against the side of the IHS and take a small piece of packing foam (from pad that comes with the board) and wedge it between the IHS and RM, doesn't even touch the heatsink. I'd take a pic of it but I don't have it setup right now.

I'll LYK what I get for temp readings when I get it in. :nod:

pls do that.......that temp reading will not be 100% but it will good a good indication....i think i read somewhere that it can be 5-10C cooler on a side of IHS than core.....

yeah i thought you'd jump at any form of criticism

How in the world is asking for some valid testing and reporting considered criticism?

Proper testing is the only way to determine if there is actually a problem. If there is a hardware issue then you will know it's time to RMA the board.

Any official review about Expert from A_G ? :)

I saw A_G's picture, would like to ask some question??

Is that yr in house or in office :D

However, my room is more mess up than you :nod:

Need to clean it up before Thanks Giving day :cat:

Happy Thank Giving Day, everybody; Enjoy your sweet holiday :cool:

Any official review about Expert from A_G ? :)

I saw A_G's picture, would like to ask some question??

Is that yr in house or in office :D

However, my room is more mess up than you :nod:

Need to clean it up before Thanks Giving day :cat:

Happy Thank Giving Day, everybody; Enjoy your sweet holiday :cool:

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showpost.p...83&postcount=82

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31339