Sign in to follow this  
Red-Rx7

Booted - XP failed, Did BIOS Update, Now wont boot.

Ok..

Fresh machine, trying to get it running. I first started by trying to install Windows XP (old original disk, no SP updates). It got through, formatted the HD, then had some error on install (couldn't read a file - disk old/scratched).

So, I decided to clean it up, and read the thread about merging SP2 into the one CD and reburning it all. So, I went through that process. On an attempt to boot up the CD, I recieved an error "Error:5" couldn't load cd.

I went ahead an updated the BIOS to the 2005/06/23, using N4D623-3. Everything went smooth on the load, then I unplugged the machine, pulled the battery, pulled the CMOS jumper off, waited 1 minute, replaced jumper, replaced battery, then booted.

On boot, it gave some errors. It indicated that it was in "safe mode" and I went into the BIOS and selected the "Load Optimal Results". I also set the drive boot sequence, and time. Then, I saved and exited. Instantly, the machine wouldn't POST. Monitor is off, and on the MOBO, I have 3 red lights.

I pulled the jumper, and battery, did it all over again, and it boots up giving me the same message. What do I do?

Currently on the screen:

CMOS Checksum Error

Warning! Now system is in Safe Mode.

Please re-setting CPU frequency in the CMOS Setup.

Also, on the MOBO I have 1 red LED.

I think it's your memory. I had a lot of trouble until I got the timings set good enough to post. Then with a little adjustment things seem to be better. I have trouble saving my bios settings too after a restart sometimes I have to go back in and load a setting from the bank to get it to load.

Willing to pay someone for some assistance.

I don't understand why it worked, then failed. Maybe I should revert my BIOS version? If anyone is willing to lend a hand; 913-707-6625.

Thanks,

Mike

Ok..

Fresh machine, trying to get it running. I first started by trying to install Windows XP (old original disk, no SP updates). It got through, formatted the HD, then had some error on install (couldn't read a file - disk old/scratched).

So, I decided to clean it up, and read the thread about merging SP2 into the one CD and reburning it all. So, I went through that process. On an attempt to boot up the CD, I recieved an error "Error:5" couldn't load cd.

I went ahead an updated the BIOS to the 2005/06/23, using N4D623-3. Everything went smooth on the load, then I unplugged the machine, pulled the battery, pulled the CMOS jumper off, waited 1 minute, replaced jumper, replaced battery, then booted.

On boot, it gave some errors. It indicated that it was in "safe mode" and I went into the BIOS and selected the "Load Optimal Results". I also set the drive boot sequence, and time. Then, I saved and exited. Instantly, the machine wouldn't POST. Monitor is off, and on the MOBO, I have 3 red lights.

I pulled the jumper, and battery, did it all over again, and it boots up giving me the same message. What do I do?

Try giving your RAM more voltage.

What safemode? Safemode is a Windows thing.

You should have a VDimm setting, make it 2.7 or 2.8V

No, at the bottom of the warning message screen on initial POST, it says it is in Safemode.

Also, 2.6, 2.7, 2.8 wont do anything. It continues to go :BEEP. pause. :BEEP. pause. :BEEP. etc.

What does holding the insert key down do? When I do that, it will boot up to give me the erros and allow me in to BIOS. Otherwise, if I dont do that, it wont post.

Let's make sure we are all on the same page. You can get into the BIOS. You then load optimized defaults, changed your VDimm, saved and rebooted?

You did not load any saved CMOS Reloaded settings did you?

Let's make sure we are all on the same page. You can get into the BIOS. You then load optimized defaults, changed your VDimm, saved and rebooted?

You did not load any saved CMOS Reloaded settings did you?

Correct.

I have no saved CMOS Reloaded settings.

After I "save settings", it immediately does not POST. Rather, it starts to just BEEP at me. I have to turn off/turn on and hold Insert key down to get to the BIOS again. I read somewhere in one of the settings I tried to use the insert key.

I have tried 1.6, 1.7, 1.8, and 1.9 Volts for setting in:

Genie BIOS Setting > DRAM Voltage Control

Right now, when I used the insert key to start up, it is showing my volts as the following:

CPU Core: 1.33

LDT Bus: 1.20

Chipset: 1.51

DRAM 2.5v: 2.92